View Single Post
Unread 09/27/2017, 08:31 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
Scott,
I see where your coming from, on all aspects.

My return pump chamber is at a 6" water line height but I could up it just a tad.

If I bought the 150 at the 6" water line height, would the intake be sucking in air?

I can't figure out, what the bottom of the pump, to the top of the intake, dimension is on the 150.

Freddie
If you removed the threaded fitting from the intake, the top of the intake to the floor would be 3"-3.25" from the floor of the sump. That leaves 2.75 - 3".. Will it such air?? Hard to say. That depends on the flow you are running it at. You could always get a piece of acrylic and place it above the pumps intake to prevent it from sucking air. Maybe have a bend put in it and add a couple suction cups or a magnet scrubber to hold it to the side of the sump. Have the horizontal surface just below the water line to prevent the pump from creating a whirlpool effect and sucking air. Obviously I am biased but in all honesty (and I am very honest when it comes to these things), if you had both pumps side by side to compare the motors, the decision would be easy. The motor on the RD3 looks and feels like a monster comparatively speaking even if you were comparing to the A400. I won't knock the Abyzz because if you need a variable speed pump capable of stupid high head pressure, there is no better choice but that isn't your situation so it really boils down to space constraints, price and flow.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote