View Single Post
Unread 01/28/2016, 03:32 PM   #730
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Vf for each LED is inherent to the LED. If you try to force a Vf that is higher than what the LED is designed for, boom.

current, on the other hand, is what the LEDs were designed to operate under, in a range. So a I(max) of 700mA means you can run that LED at 0-700mA and it's Vf will vary based on the current being pushed through it (and it will vary a bit based on junction temp heat as well)

If you go the other way and force Vf, the current will vary based on the LED characteristics and the junction temperature. But the problem is that LEDs are not designed to be ran under CV, so you can have some really bad things happen. For instance, if an LED will operate with a Vf of 2.3V and it will hold that pretty steadily for an input current of 400-650mA, what will the amperage be if you supply 2.3V constant? The answer is, you don't really know. It could try to draw 400mA or 650mA and you can't really control that, not with a basic power supply.

So I would just focus on CC drivers. Much simpler
Thanks for the great explanation! You've really cleared up a lot of confusion for me! I've spent far too long looking at this by myself. I'm glad you are willing to help! Keep up the good work boss! Much appreciated!