View Single Post
Unread 03/14/2018, 10:23 PM   #974
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
You are right, extra waterfall flow does not help that much. And sump turnover is almost irrelevant.

What's most important is an air/water turbulent interface, which faster downfalling water can help with. But this can be outweighed by detaching slime from the screen.
I always like to consider how paticular scenarios affect a healthy mature screen, and ignore new and immature screen particulars as a new screen won't be new for long after all.

What the minimum flow rate over any particular mature screen with algae growing on it is, I don't know. It may vary from one screen to the next, but only slightly I’d imagine.
And you can go above that rate whatever it happens to be.
But a reasonably constrained figure for minimum flow rate should be identified because an effective TTR would be based on that figure.

I think TTR is important because, if a fraction of the available inorganics are taken up with each tank turnover through a scrubber then the turnover needs to occur enough times during a 24 hour period to remove 100% of the inorganics in the aquariums water.
Otherwise there'll be a deficit and inorganics will accumulate.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote