View Single Post
Unread 09/22/2006, 10:57 AM   #7
piercho
Registered Member

Cerianthus "tube" anemone

Cerianthus tube anemones.
Illumination: Not Photosynthetic, so lighting is not a requirement. Usually won’t fully extend in bright light.
Flow: very low to moderate.
Buffering: does not matter.
pH stabiltiy: don’t know.
Nutrients: don't know, don't think it matters.
Feeding requirements: Must be fed, and are easy to feed. Mine likes frozen mysis, and similarly sized foods.
Tank benefits: None.
Tank considerations: Can grow large with regular feedings, and will burn sessile invertebrates within their tentacle sweep. Can capture small fish, especially fish just introduced. Established fish are not at risk, IME.
Recommended resources: None.
Comments: Don’t remove the anemone from its fibrous tube, despite what you may have heard or read. Bury the fibrous tube below the sand, with the top just below the surface of the sand. A short while later the anemone will push its way up. Very easy to feed with fast, sensitive tentacles that pull bug-sized foods to the center disk. Likes a dimly lit area of the tank, if one is available.
My 4-year old tube anemone. This one has typical tentacle coloration, but you will see other colors like dark purple and orange.

This weekend I'll try to do Sabellid fanworms that can colonize a sandbed, and two genus of Caribbean Gorgonians that branch up from a holdfast. I just need to snap some of pics.

Thats a great-looking LTA, David. I like the look of T5 flourescent. Here an old pic of my LTA under 6500K MH when he was large and in charge, along with Carla the interior decorating, knuckle biting, sand-fanning Premnas.

Current Tank Info: 65G reef shut down 2007. 25G planted.
piercho is offline   Reply With Quote