View Single Post
Unread 12/25/2018, 07:40 PM   #24
Kataro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Great colors, great variety of macros and inverts, and a great rock-scape to boot! Your young tank already looks amazing.

I noticed that some of your macros are small frags. Did you buy those on eBay? I've tried a couple from there as well. I found that the small size made it difficult to succeed with them. With bigger plants, the plant can go through some die-off, while you figure out their needs, then recover and grow. The smaller ones are like a short fuse, giving you little time to keep them alive.

Have you had this experience? If so, how do you deal with it? Also can you share any insights into macro care that you have learned in your experience? What are your plans for macro care in this tank? Will you be dosing anything? Whatever you can share would be appreciated!
I did get most of them as small frags and surprisingly the small frags have been doing really well for me. The bigger pieces that I got from a different supplier did have some die off and seem to be slower to recover after shipping.

I usually treat the algae the same way I treat corals, I start them lower in the sandbed and slowly move them up to where I want them to be. If they dont adjust fast enough and start to fade out in color due to too much light, then I just lower them for the color to recover. Another thing to take into consideration is the flow, the flow in the tank will kinda dictate how the macro will grow; just something you need to play with.

I'm not planning on dosing anything, but I might consider it down the line. Right now is just feeding the tank with the full line up from Reef Nutrition and that seem to keep all the filter feeder happy and the algae growing!

Here's a FTS from today Hope you guys are having a good Christmas!

22"x15"x12" Coldwater Reef 1" acrylic
Kataro is offline   Reply With Quote