Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 06/03/2019, 01:43 PM   #904
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Even in Nature, seagrass beds can collect huge amounts of detritus, with the occasional storm cleaning them out. But for a display aquarium, I feel like it is worth it to keep it a bit tidier. The ideal for me would be just enough to provide refuge to the 'little people', while not building up to ugly levels.

Scientists have discovered a symbiotic relationship with seagrass, a species of clam and the bacteria it hosts.

"Seagrasses evolved from terrestrial plants into marine foundation species around 100 million years ago. Their ecological success, however, remains a mystery because natural organic matter accumulation within the beds should result in toxic sediment sulfide levels. Using a meta-analysis, a field study, and a laboratory experiment, we reveal how an ancient three-stage symbiosis between seagrass, lucinid bivalves, and their sulfide-oxidizing gill bacteria reduces sulfide stress for seagrasses. We found that the bivalve–sulfide-oxidizer symbiosis reduced sulfide levels and enhanced seagrass production as measured in biomass. In turn, the bivalves and their endosymbionts profit from organic matter accumulation and radial oxygen release from the seagrass roots. These findings elucidate the long-term success of seagrasses in warm waters and offer new prospects for seagrass ecosystem conservation." - Science 15 Jun 2012

Needless to say, I want some of those clams! I haven't been able to track down anyone who collects them. I may try to collect my own at some point.

Field trips indeed! That is perhaps the biggest reason for this Nature-powered aquarium - to learn from Nature. It has taught me a lot already. I have shown it to a few kids. They seem to enjoy it, but nobody's knocking down my door for more!
Thanks for the lesson. I don't blame for wanting some of those clams!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote