Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 12/24/2021, 06:40 AM   #2124
Minorhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I think Hermit crabs are fascinating creatures. However, they are inferior to snails in the practical world of aquarium clean up crews. Plus they kill snails for their shells, so you have to choose one or the other. Sure, you can toss a bunch of hermits in a tank full of algae and no other food and they'll eat it, but once they get a taste for fish food their utility plummets.

I have an army of Dove Snails, which max out at 1/2 inch. They reproduce to match their numbers to the food supply. They are small enough to climb the round manatee grass blades and all the macros too.

I do believe the grasses grow slower in the winter. Somewhere in my reading I remember seeing summer referred to as their growing season. I adjust the temp down a touch in winter to give them a seasonal temperature dynamic.
Thank you! I guess I need to do some more reading on hermit crabs. I want to keep both snails and hermits but the snails are more important. The hermits would be there mostly to eat excess mysis since the seahorses are messy eaters. I thought I could toss a bunch of shells for the hermit crabs into the tank and I'd be good. I keep terrestrial hermit crabs but even then they are a single species tank. I was fascinated with the idea of keeping aquatic hermit crabs but I want the tank to work more then indulge in my fascination ;P

Minorhero is offline   Reply With Quote