View Single Post
Unread 01/31/2016, 02:59 PM   #116
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2806 View Post
I am having A hard time understanding adjusting the DC 151 it talks about adjusting the white nozzle and having it to turns out does that mean with it all away screwed tight and backing it out to turns if that's the case why is there like 15 turns that it can come out or is it when u start to see actual threads showing? and where are you wanting to have the water level inside the cone?and are they saying to have where the bubbles go to foam right at the bottom of the neck where the wet foam goes to dry foam?

See my posts above. Screw it in clockwise until it's tight. Mark it with a sharpie pen with a straight line across the top of the nozzle and the part it threads into so you have a reference point. Unscrew the nozzle 4 1/2 full turns out from fully closed and start there. The manual states a starting point of 1.5 turns out and in my experience, that is not a good setting for this skimmer. The ideal setting is anywhere from 4 to 5 full turns out from fully closed and a sump depth of 6.5" - 7.5" depending on the load. I would normally suggest a starting depth of 6.75" with the wedge pipe wide open.

You want the water/fast moving bubbles to transition to foam right around to top side of the white flange where the neck threads to the skimmer body. You should see a solid obvious line in the neck where this transition from bubbles to foam occurs. If the load is light or if you want a wetter skim, you will raise that line up higher in the neck. If the skimmate is too wet or if you are having issues with it overflowing then you may need that transition line to be lower. It's heavily dependent on the load. In a heavy load, the skimmer will generate more foam and that necessates a lower level in the skimmer. Once the skimmer catches up and reduces the amount of dissolved organics, you will likely need to make an adjustment in the level inside the skimmer to fine tune it so it remains consistent.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/31/2016 at 03:05 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote