View Single Post
Unread 07/22/2014, 11:30 AM   #4
mypepper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownguy487 View Post
Just curious what the difference besides the controllers on most the LED fixtures.

Im trying to decide if the money is worth buying from Ecotech or AquaIllumination rather then having someone build it myself.

Most "builders" say they use the same LED's as these major names in the business...

Anyone who could describe it to me would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Back when LED's made there way to the aquarium market, I too was deciding to build my own LED fixtures, but after careful consideration, I purchased two Vega
Color fixtures.

My main reasoning to purchase a fixture from AI, the quality behind product and there reviews of excellent customer service. Just to let you know, Ecotech Marine also has excellent LED fixtures and superior customer service as well.

As for my self, I'm extremely handy, but I don't have the time to tinker, plus I want a polished finished product with all the bells and whistles, which both the AI and Ecotech Marine have.

Since I had such great success with my to AI Vega Color units, I recently upgraded to the Hydra 52. Let me tell you, these Hydra 52's are amazing and my corals have changed positively to the upgrade. As for the Ecotech Generation 3 Pro series, I'm very sure they are equally as good or a tad better then the AI Hydra 52's.

In closing, the choice is yours to make, but for myself, I'd rather buy a proven LED fixture off the shelf.

If your thinking of building your own LED light fixture, look up CNC Reef, which they have some amazing heatsinks for sale for the DYI builds.

Good luck on your decision,
Randy

mypepper is offline   Reply With Quote