View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2016, 05:38 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Variable speed pumps tend to generate "differential voltage". Some GFCI's are more sensitive to it than others. Often older GFCI's will trip due to this. My gut tells me it's the GFCI itself.

I had a similar scenario with a Genesis Renew at my house. I assembled it into a custom external enclosure that had it's own GFCI in it. When I plugged the box into my house GFCI, the one on the wall tripped as soon as the Renew controller was toggled on yet the GFCI in the box didn't trip. I swapped the GFCI out for a standard outlet and the GFCI on the wall still tripped. I plugged the Renew into a different GFCI at my house and it was fine. The issue proved to be my GFCI in my kitchen. The Renew is now setup at a customers house and plugged into a GFCI there and has been running flawlessly since being installed. Personally, I hate GFCI's and will not run one on my tank. I know many would take issue with that but in 30 years of salt water, I've never had a GFCI trip for good reason. They only tripped because of age or issues with the GFCI. I've since eliminated them entirely from my system and it's been that way for well over a decade. I know others who have last their entire system due to faulty GFCI's that tripped for no reason and shut their system down. Like I said, I know some will take issue with my position and I am not suggesting people remove their GFCI's but there are issues that arrise and other alternatives that may or may not be better.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/28/2016 at 05:46 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote