View Single Post
Unread 11/26/2007, 11:41 PM   #17
thrillreefer
Registered Member

Yeah they do. The irony is that I switched from my 29 gal glass tank so that I could get the large RIO powerhead out of the tank and have a cleaner look; right now, with the overflow and the large PVC fittings, the tank has far more noticable equipment than it did with the dark grey PH hidden behind the rocks with a small nozzle sticking out to direct flow.

Flow in this tank is far better, though it is not reaching all the way to the corners or to the bottom with the current fittings. Also, the water level has been slowly rising in the display, and today increased more than 1/4 inch from morning until I got home from work around 8. Because there is so much flow for this size OF box, the filter floss I jammed in there to reduce noise from water rushing in had already started to clog and restrict flow somewhat (after ~5 days). Admittedly, I kicked up more detritus than usual in setting up and rearranging rocks, but this seems pretty excessive.

It looks like I will have to make it a priority to change the overflow. Two ideas come to mind: and external overflow box, or removing the box and using a elbow with a short standpipe off of the existing bulkhead in the back wall. The external box carries a higher chance of success, but requires more work, especially in routing an opening in the back wall of the tank.

An elbow off of the bulkhead would be quite a bit easier, but I have some doubts as to whether I could make this quiet by using a Stockman or inverted stockman (what is that called again?) I rarely see anyone using just a bulkhead in the back wall with a pipe leading to the surface, so there must be a few reasons why this is not a good choice. It might be hard to control noise, or might be more fragile a setup than most people want to risk.

thrillreefer is offline   Reply With Quote