View Single Post
Unread 10/08/2009, 11:55 AM   #21
customdusty
Registered Member

So I've had a set-back... Now that I managed to get the tank plumbed up and filled, I discovered a leak on the seal/gasket on the bulkhead of the Glass-Holes overflow.

The problem now being that the tank is hard plumbed through the walls and in place, I had no way to access this bulk head or do anything about the leak short of tearing it all out and having to start over.

Now, the tank has been drained and I have buckets and totes of saltwater all over the house, the plumbing has been cut out, and I have to order all new plumbing materials and will have to re-build about half of the system's plumbing.

I was hoping to have the tank transfer done already and the old tank torn down, but now it's just a total mess. I've had to call the contractors who were scheduled to continue the remodeling in the house and postpone all of it, again.

In hindsight maybe I could have been more precise and thorough when applying silicone inbetween the gasket and tank, but nonetheless, I find a shortcoming in the Glass-Holes product. The manner in which the bulkhead and overflow box is designed requires it to be tightened into place by using your finger tips to try and crank down the big 2.75" nut and compress 2 gaskets to create the seal. With my big bear paws for hands, it proved to be a major problem.

I've been spending my time now trying to design and build some sort of tool that can get down inside the box to tighten the nut. I've made a couple of prototypes and now it is off to the machine shop to fire up a lathe and mill and start making the real deal.

You can imagine how FURIOUS I was to be working against deadlines, being so close to finishing, and then having to tear it all out. I have to say though that despite all of this, I can't hold Glass-Holes or anyone else accountable. I'm pretty happy with their product, it is very small and operates very quietly - as advertised.

This weekend will be a big one for the build (or re-build?), I'll post more then.

Current Tank Info: 105g Mixed Rimless Starphire by Miracles - Reefthreads.com "Noteworthy Tank" November 19, 2010 Podcast #13 - Sfiligoi Stealth 12x39 T5 - 2x Vortech MP40W - BK/Vertex Alpha Cone 200 - Neptue Apex - 2 Part - Tunze ATO - BRS 5 Stage RO/DI
customdusty is offline   Reply With Quote