View Single Post
Unread 06/12/2012, 12:45 PM   #65
ShaunMonahan
Clam nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkbreath View Post
Im reprinting this from another thread because I think it will reach a larger audience here.....
Thank you for taking the time to post this Kalkbreath. I also share your belief that small clams are often overfed by hobbiests trying to "do the right thing" and end up smothering/killing their clams, and polluting their tanks.

I have had the pleasure of talking to Gerald Heslinga in the late 90's. Gerald is one of the early pioneers that helped (considerably) make Tridacnid clam farming a success.

Gerald set me straight: ammonia and nitrogen fixing is the real key for nourishment in Tridacnid clams along with proper illumination.

I prefer to take the advice of someone who has actually and successfully spawned and reared Tridacnids on a large scale.

So excellent reading, if you can find it:

Fitt, W. K., G. A. Heslinga and T. C. Watson. 1993. Utilization of dissolved inorganic nutrients in the growth and mariculture of the giant clam, Tridacna derasa. Aquaculture 109, 27-38.

Hastie, L. C., T. C. Watson and G. A. Heslinga. 1992. Effect of nutrient enrichment on Tridacna derasa: dissolved inorganic nitrogen improves growth rate. Aquaculture 106: 41-49.

Last edited by ShaunMonahan; 06/12/2012 at 01:44 PM.
ShaunMonahan is offline   Reply With Quote