View Single Post
Unread 06/19/2021, 03:19 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRippster View Post
When I discovered the pump was leaking, it had developed a salt stalactite streaming from the insert nut area. I removed the pump from the system, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Upon starting the pump, I watched the entire area around the pump, and pump, to see if anything was out of place. Within short order the insert nut area began slowly developing a drop and then a drip. You couldn’t even see anything in the epoxy plug area like a split or crack to support a leak, but it’s there. Not sure why this design was ever implemented when the motor block has a nut socket fabricated into it supporting a traditional bolt/nut solution without the epoxy nut insert design.
The nut isn’t epoxied in. Epoxy doesn’t bond well with PVC. It’s a special PVC liquid welding solvent similar to that stuff used to weld PVC pipes. It creates a bond with the PVC unlike epoxy.

The 230w pumps have had that design for several years and it’s never been an issue. The reason that was done was because of the proximity to the output pipe where running a long bolt through the volute would interfere with the output and threading the PVC to capture the bolt would result in customers stripping the threads. Like I said, it’s never been issue and that nut is not exposed to water. It’s buried in the PVC and the hole is outside of the o-ring. To date the only time customers have had issues is when they crank the screws down and crack the volute and in your case, the only way water can come out of that area is if the volute has a crack near the nut.

FWIW, I ran my pair of 230w pumps since they were first released around 2014 or 2015 up until I broke my tank down last January and never had an issue and we’ve sold probably around 1000 230’s and countless 150w flow pumps with the same style volute and we’ve never had any issues with the nut welded in there let alone leaks from it so while it may seem strange to you, the design had proven to be sound and it’s never been an issue.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote