Thread: dino experiment
View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2011, 10:25 AM   #22
kzooreefer
Registered Member

You could have both. The youtube video someone linked too was an excellent example of dinos.

I had a long time outbreak of diatoms that looked just like yours. They would dissapear at night when the lights were out and return as soon as the lights came back on. And they had bubbles coming from them and I read on here somewhere that diatoms didn't produce bubbles, which didn't make sense as they are a photosynthetic algae. I verified they were diatoms by looking at them under a microscope.

Treatment is the same as for all algae, reduce the nutrient load.

I've had freshwater aquariums since I was 6, I lived in GR most of my life and never had problems with diatoms till I moved to Kalamazoo. Difference in the water chemistry is GR has silica of 1 ppm and Kalamazoo has 13 ppm. Now with my reef aquarium the silica isn't coming from the water source, I use 18 ohm DI from work, but from the sand bed. I haven't been able to get a good reading as the method I use doesn't work well in saltwater. But you can limit its growth by limitng the other nutrients it needs, nitrates and phosphate. My nitrates are usually around 1 - 0.5 ppm and my phosphates run between 0.01 and 0.10 ppm. This has kept the diatoms in check as well as any other form of algae.

Flow..........2 Jebao WP10 Powerheads
kzooreefer is offline   Reply With Quote