View Single Post
Unread 09/24/2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Palting
Registered Member

I guess I should periodically update this thread. Not much going on, dosing is dialed in and parameters stable as a rock. All coral growing, needing to get branches chopped off on some to keep warfare down. Have not touched the substrate at all. Did notice that the substrate is changing, though. Less turf algae like and more coraline looking, with a variety of colors, from the original black with scattered reds, yellows, greens, even some blues. I'll let it go some more and see what happens, then post a pic.

I did notice that there is less crud in general as the tank gets older. I have several trays of sponge filters in my sump, and they stay clean much longer. There is also less skim production, and the macro in the refugium dones,'t seem to grow as quickly. Tank is now about 2 1/2 years old. Anyone else notice that their tank seems to get "cleaner" running as it gets older?

I have macro in the refugium but I've wanted some macro in the DT for diversity. However, the 4 tangs decimate any macro I put in there, even chaeto. Several months ago, I noticed a hitchiker. This grew froma rock that was in the tank for 2 years already! Talk about delayed emergence of hitchikers.

Little green sprits of Halimeda:

About 6 months later:

It takes care of any nitrates and phosphates, maybe it's one reason the tank seems cleaner. Unfortunately, it also eats a lot of calcium . But, I'm keeping the Halimeda forest. It's the only macro that survives in this tank with the 4 tangs.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam

Last edited by Palting; 09/24/2012 at 04:04 PM.
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote