View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2011, 02:26 PM   #81
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova101 View Post
If there any thought on which style is more efficient comparing the SantaMonica-style (wide but short) vs the Srusso-style (longer but less wide).

I'm not refering to the T5 vs spiral bulbs but the format of the screen. The wide one's have a shorter contact time with the screen vs the longer ones. In addition, the wider ones will require more input flow in order to maintain the 35 gph/in rule.

Also to anyone with an open screen version(like in Srusso's picks) vs those scrubbers enclosed in acrylic boxes, how much do you have to deal with salt creep and/or spray. Do you have to worry about a glogged outlet creating a jet which then sprays all over the inside of your cabinet?
The big difference is in the amount of water processed; A screen twice as wide will flow twice as much water, and this makes a big difference in how fast it can eat the nutrients out of the water.

Salt spray and creep is easily manageable on my setup, the straighter you make your slit in the PVC the better the water will flow. Therefore the less splatter happens. People have also made simple ways of stopping most. I have an acrylic catch that stops bubbles.

Screens will not clog PVC.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote