View Single Post
Unread 09/11/2011, 09:07 AM   #58
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
Dosing iron to supplement scrubber growth... When is this necessary and how do you go about it?
As of right now, I am on the third week of test dosing iron. I got a tip on a DIY iron source from normal iron supplements from CVS store brand. Take a pill and let it soften in RODI. Stir well once the pill is completely soft. Allow to settle, 20 mins or so. Dose green liquid and leave fillers at the bottom of the cup. I am doing it once a week. when you does it will cloud the tank water.

I used one pill the first week, saw little change in color of growth. Clouded my 70 gallon for about an hour or more.

I used two pills the second week, saw a generally greener healthier growth by the third and fourth day. It clouded the water for about three hours. No I'll effects noticed and fish or SPS, LPS, Softies, anemones or inverts.

This week (yesterday) I used 3 pills. The growth of the screen is that of a day older. Greener healthier looking growth. Clouded the tank for about 6 hours, corals seemed to love the dose as polyps where fully extended.

Again fish and others seem normal.

This is still something I am testing so do at your own risk. I am using the color and health of the algae harvest as my indicators for more or less dosing. At the moment I am dosing the solution all at once but I may start drip dosing.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264

Last edited by srusso; 09/11/2011 at 09:21 AM.
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote