View Single Post
Unread 10/26/2011, 07:53 AM   #85
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

N728NY I assume you mean NPS (non-photosynthetic) corals. The short answer is no I have not specifically heard of anyone running an Algae Scrubber on an NPS tank, but it seems to me like a perfect match. NPS corals in particular benefit from a multiple feedings. I saw Gary Parr give a presentation at MACNA and he mentioned that there are some that must be fed several times a day, and some required squirting food directly at them. So I'm sure that there's not a one-size-fits-all answer, but the bottom line here is that NPS corals would strongly benefit from a constant drip feeding system (that is not in dispute) and an Algae Scrubber is a form of filtration that is capable of handling the nutrient load associated with a constant drip feeder (this is also not in dispute). Now whether they will work together long term remains to be seen, but that's just because nobody (to my knowledge) has tried it.

redneck is referring to the system that SM runs which is about 90 gallons and runs 2 100 gallon rated scrubbers. He feeds 72 mL of a DIY oyster-feast plus 20 sq in of Nori (a DAY) and one whole silverside a week. No N, no P.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote