View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2009, 05:35 PM   #34
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott
I'm going to try it! thanks

do you allow your skimmer to drain directly from the cup to the sewer line? or to a container with auto shut off? I've alway been afraid to allow it to drain without a shut off mechanism since skimmers can go nuts and drain too much, although if you are replacing with salt solution it mitigates the risk. hmm, I'm currenly using Kalk to top off, I don't think it mixes with salt very well...
I actually use a few safety measures.

The drain is restricted to a 1/4" polyethelene line. If the skimmer were to go crazy, the excess skimate overflows back into the sump but before it does that, the venturi intake for the skimmer pumps would suck the extra back through the pump and in the skimmer again.

The top-off water which comes directly from the RO filter is controlled by two float switches in the sump. In addition, there is a John Guest 1/4 valve that only allows a slow drip through the RO fill tube. There is a Kent float valve in the top-off water mixing container and another one in the sump.

So, worse case scenario is the the skimmer goes crazy and sump gets low on water and air bubbles are blowing in the tank from the return pump. The tank does not turn into a fresh water tank.

My top off water also goes through a Kalk container before it gets to the top off container. I'm not sure how effective this but my Calcium levels are acceptable.

Last edited by mobert; 01/07/2009 at 06:11 PM.
mobert is offline   Reply With Quote