View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2011, 02:32 PM   #82
srusso
Registered Member

I am taking the liberty and posting mrbncal tank, he posted on this other algae scrubber thread...
Can be found here... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1963130&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbncal View Post
I want to show my support for ATS's. When I set this 75 back up 4 years ago I battled with my EUROREEF skimmer for 7-8 months. Every couple of weeks it would go into overflow mode for a couple days and flow teh skimmate back into the tank. Things looked horrible every time it would overflow. Just got sick of dealing with it. I unplugged it and let the tank go. Three months with no attention. Almost tore it down. 90 days later when I scrubbed the front glass I was surprised to find that things had gotten better since turning off the skimmer. So i left it like that for about a year and a half. But hair and bubble algae had a serious foothold. I couldnt feed much. Then I read the articles on ATS's and eventually decided to try one. So I built a bucket scrubber and haven't looked back.

Is it tank of the month material? No. But my maintenance time is a lot less than those guys also. I still have great growth on corals and most important I enjoy the hobby again.

My only source of cal/alk is kalk in the top-off water and I run a bag of chemipure hanging in the sump. I have not changed any water since June of 2010(30 gal). (I had a hot day prior to hooking my chiller up and things got a little soupy, stupid gamble and I lost a few corals).

I have been running ats since Nov/Dec 2009. Anemones, tubeworms of all types(cocoworms), photosynth gorgs and LPS as well as green slimer and birdnest, pocillipora have all grown very well. These fotos are about 4 months ago. Will try to get some newer ones if you guys want. The slimer in teh upper left is much bigger now.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote