View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2013, 08:22 PM   #11
heathercking
Registered Member

HELP! Banded cat shark sick or spawning / pregnant?

I was curious if you've ever experienced a shark lay eggs? if not then just reply to me w/ a simple "no", lol If you have then I wanted to know what her behavior was like prior to the 1st time she laid an egg.

We have a female 30" banded cat shark w/ a swollen belly and she's hasn't had much of an appetite. She also hasn't been swimming much. We've had her (and the 300 gal) for 2 years and she was already 2' when we got her. She has always been perfectly healthy, active and even super sweet. Everything else in the tank is acting fine, including our cortez ray. All of the levels are okay. We just added a larger skimmer, sump and a PhosBan 150 - we did all of this to try to improve water quality even more for her... after she started acting different.

Just want to find out the behavior or a "pregnant" shark so we can rule it out or keep it as a possibility. I know cat sharks will lay eggs and the male fertilizes the egg after the female lays it.

Also wanted to add, she has no red under her belly when the lights are on but when the lights are off her tummy and fins always turned a little pinkish in color - ever since we got her. Otherwise she had always eaten grew and acted great - eyes are perfectly clear as well.

I would love ANY input!

heathercking is offline   Reply With Quote