View Single Post
Unread 06/21/2014, 09:30 AM   #124
griseum
Registered Member

Alprazo should be around soon.

But in the mean time i could help out. The selling and buying of shark eggs is a tricky business, and not to preach, but something that I avoid and i think others should to! The success rate is horrible... as you have witnessed. If you consider what takes place in the wild, and the rate of eggs laid to hatchlings and then on to yearlings, the successful ratio of sharks to make it to a year of age is extremely low. This is one of the reasons why sharks have evolved 3 different reproduction strategies (egg layers, eggs kept internally, live birth), plus parthenogenesis in a few select species, where females produce clone offspring all by themselves!
So, by not purchasing a shark that is perhaps already a juvenile and eating already, you are taking on the natural risks that also cause juvies to not survive, such as deformities, birth defects, etc, in the wild.

You mentioned that the juvies were twitching while swimming. If I understand correctly, they were shaking their heads back and forth? This could indicate a parasite, or "fluke", especially on or around the gills.
You fed frozen squid and octopus... For a newly hatched shark, these are pretty large and dense (esp. octopus). How did you prepare it in order for them to be able to consume? Did you notice any type of bloating in the stomach areas?
The octopus is usually extremely rubbery and hard to cut, depending on which type or how you purchased it.
Did you QT the tangs and clown? If not they may have introduced something into the tank prior to the shark eggs. Tangs have been known to pick at sharks.

What size tank and what type of filtration and water movement do you have?

Hope some of this helps.

griseum is offline   Reply With Quote