View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2009, 05:11 PM   #32
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mobert
I actually do check my salinity every few days and adjust the salinity of the top off water accordingly. I have been doing it this way for three years and it gets predictable. For instance after a heavy feeding, I can expect the skimmer to be more active and I would add more salt to the top off container. Not hard to do and I feel that wet skimming has helped control my nitrates.

Yes, all my top off is salty water.
I'm going to try it! thanks

do you allow your skimmer to drain directly from the cup to the sewer line? or to a container with auto shut off? I've alway been afraid to allow it to drain without a shut off mechanism since skimmers can go nuts and drain too much, although if you are replacing with salt solution it mitigates the risk. hmm, I'm currenly using Kalk to top off, I don't think it mixes with salt very well...

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote