View Single Post
Unread 01/21/2016, 03:16 PM   #99
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Here's a weird question, so I started using filter socks about a month ago with a new skimmer. As the socks clog, the skimmer performs less. When I change out to a new sock, I notice a much drier foam and much higher. I'm still tinkering with the skimmer to find the sweet spot, so sometimes I have to re adjust the skimmer levels when new socks are put into operation. Thoughts?

Corey
Wow.. You really are paying a lot of attention to that skimmer! I never bothered to pay that much attention to my skimmate production between sock changes and I never mess with my skimmer settings before or after sock changes. I haven't really messed with my skimmer settings in a number of months because it always produces consistently. That's not to say I get the same amount of skimmate in the cup every week. I wouldn't expect that because my feeding habits vary slightly and I don't weigh my food rations out daily. Still, there is always new and nasty skimmate being produced and because of that, I know it's working well so there is no need to adjust it.

On to how I would explain it. Socks remove solid waste as well as larger dissolved solids (larger than the socks micron size) from the water. Some of which would otherwise be removed my the skimmer. As time passes, some of the waste/solids in the socks starts breaking down to the point that its small enough to pass through the socks in the form of dissolved solids or over the edge of the socks if they totally back up and overflow. This would take a few to several days and probably coincides with the socks plugging up which is about the time that you change them. Since the socks are catching some of the solids before you skimmer does, when the trapped solids start breaking down, there will be slightly more waste entering the skimmer compartment in your sump which would result in increased skimmate production. One other thing. When your socks back up, they retain more water. If you have enough socks and a sump that's water level is impacted slightly when you change the socks, the increased water level from the sock change may cause a wetter skim until the extra water retained in the dirty socks evaporates.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/21/2016 at 03:22 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote