View Single Post
Unread 08/14/2017, 11:49 AM   #5
extendedmango
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I don't recommend it.

Seahorses have specific needs different from the needs of a reef tank.

Water quality is a BIG issue with them in terms of things that no hobbyist test kit is going to be of any help to you as it relates to conditions that enable the nasty bacteria to thrive. The recommendation for one pair of standard sized seahorses is 29/30g and anything less helps make bacteria conditions thrive.

H. capensis can get to 4 to 4.5 inches and that will tax even a 20g tank unless you are extremely diligent with husbandry and water changes.

They are also best kept at 68° to 72°F, lower preferred, so can you provide for that need also?

At $165 apiece, I wouldn't want to chance loosing them due to a setup that lacks the capability of best for their chances of survival.

While OR ships them in the 2-3" range, they don't stay that size for long.

Lastly, have you checked to see when they may have them available? I haven't seen them in stock for some time.

This is about what I expected to hear, I was only hopeful that there was something I didn't know. What about the dwarf seahorses? I know they are supposedly expert only due to feeding habits, but according to seahorse.org they only require a simple setup. Think they would be okay if I am able to provide for their feeding requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extendedmango is offline   Reply With Quote