View Single Post
Unread 10/06/2008, 10:27 PM   #1
r0cksteady
Registered Member

AUSTRLALIAN r0cksteady's attempted 8ft (500G'ish) Angelfish compatible REEF display

Hi All,

Am currently setting up an 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft starfire reef tank to replace my current 5ft x 2ft x 2ft setup. Am planning to have the tank setup and 'wet' by FEB 09. The main time restraint is the fact that I have to setup temp 6ft tank seperately so that I can safely break down the 5ft without any mishaps and as I have two very fat and healthy mandarins I want to cycle the 6ft for as long as possible.

The only items left to buy is the actual Tank and am waiting for the controllable Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 to come out (DEC 08). I will purchase the display after I have the placement area 100% completed so that I dont have it sitting out in a shed or something begging to be scratched\damaged.

I have found much inspiration and direction in Anthony Calfo's "Book Of Coral Propagation", his advice is well balanced and respected.

Im trying to reduce maintenance and areas of failure to a minimum. Im trying to automate as much as possible not from a laziness point of view or going for wank features but just to also help reduce myself from being a point of failure in its operating as I am very much an elephant in a china store with these big sausage fingers of mine

LOCATION \ LAYOUT:

Heres a basic idea of the house layout and where Im planning on placing the tank. It will be replacing my current 5ft display and in order for me to have a smooth transition I will be setting up a 6ftx2ftx2ft at the other end of the lounge on the same wall. The wife is going to freak when im in the transitional phase of have both the 6ft setup and then the newly purchased 8ft side by side. lol.

Photobucket

I will also be using our current cupboard which stores our hotwater service and ducted heating by gutting the lot and putting in such things as a sink\shelves\chiller etc.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heres some basic designs of what im planning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

*A question never asked, is a question never answered.

*Two people attempting something differently, doesn't make one of them wrong
r0cksteady is offline   Reply With Quote