View Single Post
Unread 08/23/2016, 01:44 AM   #8
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

If you have never kept seahorses, please consider a species only tank. If you have never had a marine tank... this is not the starting point no matter the research you have done. Please have a sump. Until you mastered an sps tank with alternative filtration from a protein skimmer, a skimmer is the only way to go, and yes, it goes in the sump. Ammonia is massive, the skimmer saves you. Yes a QT is fine to set up now, but often you will kill and restart this tank. Look at QT methods, I never do it in a cycled tank, but some do.

There will be so much added to keep the water quality high enough, the sump is your friend. Purigen, carbon, gfo, biopelets, chiller, and skimmer are all things I run out of my sump for the seahorses.

Yes you feed mysis. Enriched with fatty acids is good, RINSE YOUR FOOD BEFORE FEEDING. It will be night and day in your water quality. Get CB, that's is a rule. If you haven't figured out from who, that's ok, but not a LFS, unless the specialize in seahorses. In the seahorse section, they will give you a list of breeders in Canada.

What corals do you want? This is huge. I have a softie tank with them, lots of Gorgonians, leathers and macroalgae.

Yes, most still think seahorses need lower flow, this is not a simple question. 12-15 times turn over is a good start. Yes they need lower flow that the reef tanks we all started with, but low flow is also bad due to bacteria build up. My seahorses love my high flow areas, I have high, medium, and low(er) flow areas in my tank. They have a choice. The "low flow" rule is old science. When doing your research look at its age. If more than 5 years it is outdated.

You can always add other fish later. And you don't need fish to cycle, that is cruel. After they have been QT of course. Yes, go to the seahorse section. Read first, they are a very informative crowd, but will overwhelmed you if you have not done the research. They are very protective of seahorses and want you to really be ready.

All in all, setup the tank. Get it cycling. You need sand rock water, sump, and return pump then cycle. Add lights and skimmer, look at temp if it is not a degree or two lower than you need it go buy a chiller. Have a heater on hand.

I strongly advise starting with a Reef tank or anything other than seahorses. You are underestimating the difficulty in maintaining water quality long term. This is not a starting point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dogshowgrl is offline   Reply With Quote