View Single Post
Unread 08/20/2000, 07:24 PM   #23
dark horge
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ah, err, I was already out the door,
(just ask Larry)
No need for any kick to help me along,
... Mwahahahaha !!!

Anyway, and this really is my last peep.
The practice of fish-cramming is unavoidable in wholesale and retail scenarios. Shipping alone incurs it. If you can figure out a way to ship out these fishes that avoids cramming and still make a profit for people here, I'll back down from calling it ideal FOR THOSE SCENARIOS.

I know what bill was angling at though: People who want to keep three or more tangs will take my comments out of context and use it as an excuse, so I'll back bill up:

In no way was that method of diffusing aggression ever recommended for keeping tangs long-term --and I fully pointed out the consequences in my first post. I was merely theorizing on reasons (albeit short-term ones) for the lack of hostilities between groups of tangs in LFS tanks and some hobbyist displays. No more.

Putting multiple tangs in even the larger-volume tanks commercially available is putting the animals at unnecessary risk.

Now, perception of area is one thing you can mess around with when keeping tangs: They measure benthic space as much as they do volume --if not more. By increasing grazing area via open rockwork, you increase territory without having to increase volume --but this is small change that counts only if you're near the mark. In the end you still need volume to keep these beasts long term. And you're best off avoiding groups.

Well, so long, and thanks for all the fish
(none of them blackfish, though... I'll be waiting for those)

[This message has been edited by dark horge (edited 08-20-2000).]