View Single Post
Unread 12/01/2011, 11:46 PM   #122
N728NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
Your recommending 0.5 watts of LEDs per gallon. Would you mind converting that to mcd per gallon. I am looking at 2 LEDs:
1600 mcd / (1.85 V * 0.2 a) = 4,324 mcd / watt
2800 mcd / (1.7 V * 0.3a) = 5,490 mcd / watt
You will not neither of these are 1 watt . But one produces 25% more light. Don't you love the LED efficiency it makes picking the right one that much harder
This would be a more solid scientific thing to go by if you could either get a specific lumen or candela power that you need for the screens then you could easily run with that and convert that to any type of lighting that you desire to use (LED, CFL, Incondescent). Being wattage is only a measure of power which I am almost sure you will find that different brands of LEDs are going to have different mcds per watt (as it looks like FishMan may have discovered). Hope this helps a little, I'm an electrician so trying to throw what little knowledge I have about lighting. Maybe we could go back and see what cfl's worked best, see what the candela output was for that bulb, and then we could easily add as many LEDs we need to produce the same candela power?

N728NY is offline   Reply With Quote