View Single Post
Unread 10/01/2007, 10:48 AM   #13
P.Kelly
Registered Member

So, a few more details for those that are interested.

Flow: with the AquaClear 20 and the JBJ Submariner I'm getting about 200 GPH (100 from the AquaClear and 74-132 from the JBJ, depending on the setting).

Right now I'm running the UV Sterilizer at the slower end to fight possible parasites on the new neon gobies I added. More of a precaution than anything, but it is nice to have the UV.

Temp: The tank maintains itself nicely between 78 and 80 degrees with the 80w PC lighting and Eheim Jager heater. Ambient temps in my house currently ranges from about 68-78 degrees F. As the winter progresses and temperature drops we'll have to see how the 50w heater holds up.

Water Parms: I try to perform water changes weekly, but go as much as two weeks between water changes. I change about 2 gallons each time, and use Reef Crystals. I change water on both my main tank and the nano at the same time, using water from my TheFilterGuys Reef+1 system, mixed in a RubberMaid BRUTE for a few hours with a heater for good measure. My nano evaporates about 1/4 to 1/3 a gallon per day as of late.

Salinity: 35ppt or 1.026
pH: 8.0 to 8.4
dKH: 6 to 9
NH4/NO2/NO3: 0
Phosphate: 0 to 0.01
Ca: 320 to 400

In other news, I have a purple spotted mushroom growing a baby, my turquoise zoas are coming back (they seemed to die off after I bought them), I'm growing some green bubble algae (hence the addition of the emerald crab) and the aiptasia keep coming back (so I bought the peppermint shrimp). The peppermint shrimp came from CRS (Coral Reef Shop), and I had the opportunity to watch a rock with aiptasia put into the holding tank and be attacked viciously by some of the shrimp. Of course, I'm waiting to see mine attack the aiptasia, but all in good time.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to remove bubble algae from rock, minimizing the chance of releasing spores into the tank. I have a pagoda rock with bubble algae growing the in calcareous skeletal remains of some of the polyps.

Signing off for the day, more as it develops.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
P.Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote