View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2011, 12:29 AM   #156
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by srusso View Post
This should help... it was taken from this document which also explains building an ATS.

www.radio-media.com/fish/AlgaeScrubbers.doc

"Construction:

Pipe: A basic algae scrubber starts out with a ¾” (1.88 cm) pvc pipe, with a 1/8” (3mm) slot cut along the length of it (the slot is only on the bottom side; it does not go through to the top side). Mark the slot with a marker, and cut it with a Dremel or similar power tool:

Cutting this slot is actually the only hard part of building an algae scrubber. If you don’t think you can do it, just ask another hobbiest to do it for you; a cabinet maker or model builder could also do it. It will probably take a few tries, so give yourself some time and some extra pipe to get it right. As a last resort, you could try using a drill to make a series of 1/8” holes really close together, and then use a file to open them all up into a slot. "
To get the 1/8th inch width (if thats what you need) two dremel cutting wheels (black fiber ones) make this gap. Thats how i do it at least. I mark one line and try to make it as straight as i can. If it waves a little, not a big deal, the water will still go straight down the screen without much fuss.

BluScrnOdeth is offline   Reply With Quote