View Single Post
Unread 08/07/2007, 04:25 PM   #9
cham
Registered Member

Great article.

I use homemade two part made from Baking Soda & Ca chloride. I also use MAG flake & Epsom but like JB NY I rarely ever need MG supplimentation. Reef Crystals does a pretty good job.

I however prefer to dose my sps system with two part & kalk. I dose the two part using reef dosing pump.com unit and a 5 gallon jug for CA & another for ALK. I set my dosing rate, test like a mad man for a couple few weeks to see if its too much or too little and at that point it is "set it & forget it" for me too.

I also run a lower PH naturally (C02 levels in the home) that I have tired to remedy with an air pump bringing in outside air into skimmer intake with no great help. So to add a CA reactor to a system that already runs 7.9 to 8.0 daily swing didn't seem like a good alternative to me.

I also use kalk in my ATO at full saturation controlled by a PH controller & dual float switch so that my kalk is only dosed when PH falls below a certian level and turned off once PH gets back up or the sump reaches a pre set height.

Once my demands on my tank increases, its as easy as turning a knob on my doser to increase my rate from 10 ml's to 15 or 20 as shown on the LED display. It will dose all the way up to 500 which IIRC is up to 85 ml's per hour per channel. Would be awesome to have a system that needs that type of supplimentation.

cham is offline   Reply With Quote