View Single Post
Unread 10/06/2006, 04:05 PM   #47
chocolateblnt
Registered Member

Yes I do have a predictable amount of evaporation ... but so do many others ... sure it changes seasonally due to weather or room warming if you don't have A/C so you just add/deduct another minute to each cycle and Ta Da! If you have A/C well then you almost never have to touch the timer. I have no A/C so I lose 5 gallons per week every summer and 2.5 gallons per week during other seasons so I just ran the system into another 5 gall. jug and timed how long it took to empty/transfer and divided the time out over the week. I programmed the timer to do most topping during day when their is the most amount of heat/equipment use.

That's exactly what I said "You can also use an analog one ... I tried. However it doesn't give you the flexibility and precision a digital does." If you are merely topping off well then an analog still works however if you are topping off/dosing calcium in your top off then you need more precision with a digital timer ... it's easy to dose just figure out your weekly calcium consumption if you are losing the entire jug per week and add that calcium in.

Remember you can run the top off for even an hour with an analog timer just turn down the pressure your AIR PUMP is making so instead of the water flowing out of the tube it'll just drip. You have lots of flexibility with this system as long as you get a pump that has that wheel adjustment. If you want super flexibility/programmability for days down to the min. then get the digital timer but keep your RECEIPT. Otherwise you can get a Coralife Digital Power Center, which I am considering if this digital timer breaks again.

chocolateblnt is offline   Reply With Quote