View Single Post
Unread 08/07/2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Scuba Dog
Registered Member

I have a great deal of experience with chemical testing and the normal day to day operations of a multi million dollar chemical production unit. A sps tank and a chemical plant have a lot in common with all the equipment, maintance, reactions, and testing.

I learned that its better not to over test(repeated redundant sampling) that can leed to unnecessary adjustments, though a falty test result. In other words dont let a falty result cause you to get your tank out of balance.

When you make an adjustment it is better to make a small adjustment then sit back an wait a day or two for the system to stabilize(knee jerk reactions can be a killer).

My recomendations for maintaining alk, ca, Mg is to get a quality test kits, and keep them in a cool dry area, and keep in mind that over time the reagents in the kit can and will go bad. Also develop a good consistant technique for your titrations. Titrate slowly till you think you hit end point( color change) then add a couple more drops to make sure. If you get a bad result or one that just dosent make sence then retest and see if you can reproduce the number. Who know it could be an accurate result then its time to go trouble shooting and inspect your equipment.

In my opnion in brine chemistry its way better to go slowly on setting up calcium reactors and kalk stirers, even when dosing two or three part additives. At least until you have a real good feel on how your system is performing

Current Tank Info: Twin 180's 150 gallon common sump. 6 250 DE Phoenix, HQI ballasts. MRC4 Recirc skimmer. Pacific coast 1/2 horse chiller. Custom calcium reactor. sps reef in tank a mixed reef in tank b in the making.
Scuba Dog is offline   Reply With Quote