View Single Post
Unread 12/08/2010, 04:33 PM   #18
beuchat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bues0022 View Post
I am by no means an expert on rehabilitation sick anemones of this kind, but it was my understanding that a clownfish in an otherwise unhealthy anemone could stress it further. You are proposing the opposite. How did you come to said conclusion?
It is descrived in the book "The reef Aquarium vol II" by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeeck, page 401. Note that they recommend A. percula and A. ocelaris for the gigantea. In my case it is hosting a. polymnus

Also, in page 364 you can read:

"Anemones normally deflate on a rhythmic cycle of expansion and contraction, and this may send the aquarist into throws of alarm. Log term contraction is often but not always a sign of a problem, such as infection or predation by a bristle worm or fish. In Entacmaea quadricolor the process of asexual reproduction via longitudinal fission in preceded by several days of deflation followed by tearing of the oarl disc through the mouth and the column. Is is easy to appreciate why such an appearance could lead the aquarist to assume the anemone is dying!"

So, about my Gigantea I think different possibilities:

1- It is just changing its water inside (no worries)
2- It has contracted a bacterial infection (should be removed to hospital tank).
3- It is in a kind of process to "release" the "baby clones".

I hope the first option is the one!

beuchat is offline   Reply With Quote