Thread: My Seven Footer
View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2007, 08:12 AM   #19
FishTruck
Premium Member

Well, the tank is here! The company who build my stand and canopy, Walsh woodworking (right down the street in Lemont, IL), also ordered the tank for me. They also installed the cabinets and delivered the tank. The cabinet is the "sheraton" model with custom grommets on the sides to allow wires from Vortechs to reach the center cabinet. The stand is build in six pieces. A subfloor piece which was shimmed and leveled first. Then, three cabinets. Then, a slab of corian which was again microshimmed to be flush against the bottom of the tank around the perimeter. Finally, the canpy wich has two four inch ducts in the back for ventillation. Also, a four foot door with hands free operation. The equipment is all going in the basement, so I only need the center cabinet for the plumbing, some power, and an aquacontroller. This leaves four cabinets open for storage (a good selling point for my wife). The over all look of the stand is that of an overbuilt kitchen cabinet, with some very interesting architectural details. I love it. We are so impressed with the work they did, we immediately hired them to do some built-ins in other parts of the house.

It was installed three inches from the wall to allow Vortechs along the back of the tank.

The tank is from Tenecor, 84 x 30 x 28. 1.25 thick acrylic with Eurobracing. Center overflow with two 1.5 inch drains, two 1.0 inch returns, and a PVC dry run to allow wires to reach the canopy from the base.

The tank, empty, with the lids off was about 500 lbs. We moved it with four guys from Walsh woodworking, me, and my good pal Greg. No equipment. There were a couple of tense moments, but, we got in installed with no visible scratches. Phew! I would probably recommend at least Eight Guys if possible. Six was the bare minimum!

The room is an office / play room / guest room / sitting room visible right off the kitchen. From the kitchen with the door open, I have a nice view of the tank.

I am a very happy boy.

IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/rmanecke/IMG_4107.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by FishTruck; 11/10/2007 at 08:20 AM.
FishTruck is offline   Reply With Quote