View Single Post
Unread 03/30/2017, 11:35 PM   #8
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Since the valves are on the way, I thought I'd lay out a mini project plan.

First off, I'd like to do a near replacement for the commercial unit: valve, timer circuit, and a control knob, and I'd like to do it as a very simple, firmware free timer circuit that nearly anyone can build using readily available parts in a through-hole soldering project. With the cost of the valve + shipping, I'd hope you could piece together the whole enchilada from various sources for less than $60, and all you need to do is own a soldering iron and have basic soldering skills.

I'd also like to do a fully integrated pH controller version, but I'll talk about that later.

(I'm going to replicate the build instructions to a single blog post - since ReefCentral doesn't let you edit posts, the following will be an up-to-date reference on any part changes, build instructions, etc.

https://theatr.us/elec/simple-carbon-doser/
)

The Clippard "Mouse" valves are a very quiet, very fast acting solenoid. The goal is to pulse on the solenoid for a fraction of a second on a regular basis (every half to 10 seconds, or thereabout).

I'm basing the build on the 12V EV normally-closed standard valve: http://www.clippard.com/part/EV-2-12-H

I'm planning on using the venerable 555 timer chip, which has existed for nearly forever, but is a perfect quick way to make a variable low frequency timer and is widely available from nearly any electronics outlet. The 555 timer will be controlled by a potentiometer, letting you twist a knob to adjust the speed at which the valve opens. A second potentiometer could be added in order to control the valve open time, or it can be fixed.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote