View Single Post
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawCJack00 View Post
I love this!

Wow what a great project. Looking forward to seeing the progress. If you need any help on anything let me know. I'll pm my phone number. I'd like to see it in person when the tank gets in there!
Thanks Bill, it's good to know there are others in the area that are starting a new tank as well, however yours will be running long before mine, it's daunting to know that I can't even work out ideas for what I want to do with the tank. Outside of the broad strokes like
- knowing I'm going with a bean animal design,
- that I will make my own acrylic sump,
- that the lights will be set to a track for easy maintenance,
- the way i'm going to top off
- the way that the automatic water change will be
as the specifics I wont be able to work that out until i'm at that points, one thing that I learned so far is how everything is so dynamic and when I change one thing, it effects something else.

While waiting for by buddy to finish the plumbing, I decided it's a perfect time to clean all these Radions, they were really filthy! and some of them had so much buildup of dust that I highly doubt any air flow was going across the heat syncs.

You can't even see the metal shield!

Not much to these things, a fan, 2 LED pucks, and the circuit board.

Everything that wasn't electrical got a rinse in the sink.

If you decide to do this, remember the the ribbon connector that attaches the capacitive touch sensors.

This one doesn't look too bad, however I believe I snapped this picture after I blew it off with compressed air.

The acrylic cover.

I took this picture as a public service announcement, I read all the time in these threads about how people want the fans of their radoins to turn off while the lights are off at night. If you notice that the pressed in nuts for the fan screws are made of brass and if you look close enough they have oxidized in the presence of salt water turning them a shade of green. I could venture to guess that if the fans weren't constantly blowing, moisture could condensate on that brass part enough to eventually drip back into the tank. Brass is made with a percentage of copper and copper will kill invertbrates such as your corals. Long story short... keep those fans running

Here it is back together, I wont plug them back in for a couple days just to be certain that all the moisture has evaporated.

I had to do that 8 more times, 2 of the radions are still running their original fans, I rummaged through my all my boxes of goodies and only found 1 replacement kit. I chose not to install it because once I do, the fan of the one I didn't replace will go out. I will hold onto the new fan until it's needed.

This one was so cakes with dust that I'm surprise it's still working.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote