Thread: Which tripod?
View Single Post
Unread 10/21/2013, 10:24 AM   #102
Clamagore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgrantphoto View Post
I'm a professional photographer by trade and I never shoot with a tripod due to constraints on creativity. With many of the newer point and shoots as well as DSLR's there's really no reason for a tripod.
If everybody photographed the same subjects as you, in the same style, with the same camera, sure, a tripod might never be required. Personally, I avoid using a tripod like the plague, but it's sometimes necessary to achieve certain results. Once again, it depends.

I agree a tripod can interfere with the process, but when used wisely, it can expand one’s options. For example, it would have been virtually impossible for me to create the image below, with that quality, sans tripod.

Specifically regarding this thread, I recommend that a prospective tripod user looks for the highest quality tripod and head they can afford, so that they can depend on it when needed, for many years to come. Many inexpensive tripods can be more frustrating than they're worth. Five years ago, I picked up a Gitzo with a Markins ballhead, and I doubt I'll ever buy another tripod again.

i can see why people get hooked on this

Clamagore is offline   Reply With Quote