Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2010, 01:11 PM   #1
redfishsc
Registered Member

DIY top-down looking glass for viewing your tank from the surface

I'm not exactly sure what these are called, but I made 8 of these yesterday for a local coral farm, who has vats that can only be seen from the top. These guys cut down on the glare and give you a very clean image.

Great for looking at clams and I'm sure this can be adapted for use on cameras for top-down camera shots.

Not counting the time for glue drying, I have about an hour in making 9 of these.

These were made from scrap 4" PVC and Lexan. Ideally I would have used 8" PVC and true acrylic, but I just worked with what I had laying around.

For the glue I just used clear PVC glue, and this holds the PVC to the lexan just fine for this purpose. You could use any of the Weld-on clear acrylic glues, and for that matter you could use large clear acrylic tubing for the body if you want something that looks really nice.

Anyhow, here is a step by step.

0) Before step 1, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. If you don't, you get what you deserve

1) Cut the tubes into 2" slices. A miter saw is perfect, leaves a square, clean cut.

2) Cut the acrylic into squares that are a little bit bigger than the outer diameter of the PVC. I cut these squares about 4 5/8" across. Notice the nice T5HO light in the reflection. Our shop "made the switch from halides to T5s" and we're growing SPS on our lumber rack.

3) Apply a thick coat of PVC glue to the PVC. Wipe off any runs/drips.

4) Place the PVC onto the acrylic square. Work it a little bit, twisting it. This helps "melt" the PVC. It won't melt into the Lexan but will still bond strongly. No need to keep pressure on it for long. Just stick it on, twist it a little, and set it aside.

5) After curing for a couple hours, you can actually just use it like this--- you don't really have to trim the square part up.

But if you want to trim the acrylic (and have the tooling to do it), cut the corners off. I used a band saw. Rough cut only, nothing fancy.

6) Trim the excess acrylic off using a "flush-trim" router bit. I intentionally used an old one we had b/c our other router bits are used for fine woodworking and I didn't want to get the evil-eye from the supervisor for using his bits on acrylic. Probably wouldn't matter either way.

The finished product:

Tomorrow I'll try to get some shots of these in use. My tank has a huge canopy on it, so I can't really use them at home or get good pics of them in action.

Have fun making them!

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 01:39 PM   #2
leeman72
Registered Member

Cool...will have to give it a try!

leeman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 01:45 PM   #3
redfishsc
Registered Member

Welcome to ReefCentral, fellow North Carolinian!

Do I know you from Carolina Fish Talk?

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
Unread 03/06/2010, 10:08 PM   #4
redfishsc
Registered Member

Here they are being used at a coral prop facility.

I also used them to take some top-down photos below. My camera is a cheezy 4.0mp with a 3X zoom, but the pics are some of the cleanest pics I've ever taken.

PUCKER UP!!!

Unread 03/06/2010, 10:49 PM   #5
milkman55
Registered Member

Neat idea! I just got a top down box for my camera and didn't think about one just for viewing.

I was thinking I would use slip couplings for 6 or 8 inch pipe if you could not find short pieces of the PVC pipe?

milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 10:55 PM   #6
kcsalt
Registered Member

Look down boxes are very neat. Great idea using the PVC and looks easy to make.

kcsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 01:07 AM   #7
chernandez
Registered Member

nice diy cheap and easy

Current Tank Info: ADA 90-P
chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 06:26 AM   #8
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Neat idea! I just got a top down box for my camera and didn't think about one just for viewing.

I was thinking I would use slip couplings for 6 or 8 inch pipe if you could not find short pieces of the PVC pipe?
That would work great!

Unread 03/07/2010, 02:37 PM   #9
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post

I was at Lowe's today and priced the couplings. No 8" to be found, but they had 6" slip couplings for $10 each. Actual inner diameter was a little over 6.5".

But you can get a 10 foot stick of 6" pipe for $30, which would make (easily) 30-40 viewers.

The only hard part there would be cutting them clean and square without spending eons of time. I'm thinking maybe cut the pipe into 2' lengths on the tablesaw (with some help from a jig to keep it straight), and from there the 2' pieces would be a breeze to cut into 3" wide slices.

Unread 03/07/2010, 03:27 PM   #10
EdG1942
Registered Member

Great idea

Terrific idea and cheezy camera or not, the pix are great.

EdG1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 03:50 PM   #11
redfishsc
Registered Member

Thanks, from another fellow North Carolinian.

Do I know you from Carolina Fish Talk, lol?

Unread 03/07/2010, 03:59 PM   #12
ebruce01
Registered Member

redfishsc nice little trick. That coral facility that you have in your pic is that something someone can visit?

Unread 03/07/2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Pylon
Registered Member

I'm a few hours away from Wake forest, but I'm deffinatly looking for something close that I can go and purchase from.
I'm up in the mountains by Boone.

Pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 05:59 PM   #14
redfishsc
Registered Member

They are not a public facility although they occasionally do have an open house you can go to and buy frags. Nice place. That's how these pics were taken. I'm a customer.

Here is their website, you can email them and ask when the next open house is.

http://www.reeffarm.com/

In the Raleigh area, for nice corals, I highly recommend both The Fish Room (on Capital Blvd next to Best Buy at I540) and also Down Under in Garner (follow 70 down into Garner). Both are great places.

Although I must say I generally buy most of my coral from fellow reefers. Raleigh has a VERY nice reef-keeper base around here and anytime I want something in particular all I generally need to do is ask around, lol, especially on Carolina Fish Talk.

Unread 03/07/2010, 06:59 PM   #15
rareform
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
I was at Lowe's today and priced the couplings. No 8" to be found, but they had 6" slip couplings for $10 each. Actual inner diameter was a little over 6.5".

But you can get a 10 foot stick of 6" pipe for $30, which would make (easily) 30-40 viewers.

The only hard part there would be cutting them clean and square without spending eons of time. I'm thinking maybe cut the pipe into 2' lengths on the tablesaw (with some help from a jig to keep it straight), and from there the 2' pieces would be a breeze to cut into 3" wide slices.
I use my chop saw to cut ABS and PVC all the time and you can cut it square also you can use a wood blade.

rareform is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 09:58 PM   #16
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareform View Post
I use my chop saw to cut ABS and PVC all the time and you can cut it square also you can use a wood blade.

You mean like this (from the first post):

The problem I'm talking about is trying to cut larger diameter stuff. That's a 12" saw in the pic and there's no way it will cut (in one clean pass) the 6" pipe. I'd have to rotate it, but maybe that will work...... we'll see tomorrow. I actually have some 8" PVC to cut that was given to me.

Unread 03/08/2010, 10:51 AM   #17
Pylon
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, it seams everything is about three hours from where I am

Pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 12:14 PM   #18
redfishsc
Registered Member

Be sure to post pics of your work!

Unread 03/08/2010, 12:57 PM   #19
Adam_T
Registered Member

Sup redfish! These look great!

Adam_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 01:41 PM   #20
redfishsc
Registered Member

Thanks man!

I'm making a couple of 8" versions with some pipe Corey gave me. I only have a little, and it's a BEAR to cut right. It's too big to cut in one pass with any miter saw we have. I cut it on the tablesaw, and it's coming out square, but it's pretty aggravating.

Unread 03/08/2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Adam_T
Registered Member

Haha, I might get one of these from you eventually. Maybe when you make a pass into Rock Hill sometime we can get up.

Adam_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 03:59 PM   #22
tangtang clown
Registered Member

Very nice. Buddy of mine has a frag tank setup in his garage and it is amazing how much better you can see with one of those.

Unread 03/09/2010, 06:20 PM   #23
ebruce01
Registered Member

redfishsc, thanks for the info. I have never been to the place up on 540. I dont know how long it has been there but I have been over seas for about a year and a half. Glad you told me though I am coming home for a 5 week vacation in about 10 days. I will definitely check them out. I will be getting some things together to get a tank started when I come home for good. I will check out the Carolina Fish Talk as well. Thanks again.

Unread 03/09/2010, 07:14 PM   #24
redfishsc
Registered Member

yeah, the Fish Room is a great store. I've gotten to know the guys that run it fairly well, and they really know their stuff. Good selection of quality reef supplies, you dont' find them selling snake oil garbage.

Unread 03/09/2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Phyxius
Moving About

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
yeah, the Fish Room is a great store. I've gotten to know the guys that run it fairly well, and they really know their stuff. Good selection of quality reef supplies, you dont' find them selling snake oil garbage.
Same here and they have gotten me some nice stuff also when I asked. Been going there since they opened.

I like the DIY viewers!!!

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote