Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2008, 07:57 AM   #1
sslak
Registered Member

30 Breeder, most Exellent Adventure!

Hey guys, welcome to my build thread. I have been in the planning stages for a long time, and I just finally started purchasing gear and setting this tank in motion.

Join me for a most excellent adventure!

This tank is going to be a 30 breeder, with a 250 watt halide, sump, skimmer, refugium, and possibly a closed loop!

Here is my first draft of the plumbing design, feel free to give me some feedback, this will be my first time plumbing a reef tank.

My goal with this tank is to create a clean, pristene example of a coral reef environment in my very own home. I don't think this tank will be one with 100 species of SPS, but rather 5-10 very colorful and varied species. One reason I chose the wide, shallow tank is that I've always loved seing tanks with small baseball sized rocks completely engulfed in zoanthids, blastos, acans, etc. I would like to have sort of mini coral islands on the wide sandbed.

I think it will be interesting to see how this progresses, and at some point I will look back at this original post and hopefully I will be happy with the results of my hard work and planning!

Current Tank Info: 58 Oceanic/20g Sump/250w XM 20k/2x39w T5 True Actinic 03/2010 Reef Octopus NW Cone Skimmer
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2008, 08:06 AM   #2
rustybucket145
Registered Member

Looks like a pretty good plan to me! I think the mag7 will give you plenty of flow for the 30gal. Just be sure to use oversized pipe/tube on your return line. For the mag 7 I'd probably do 1" PVC(or similar tube size) to the Y then to 3/4" PVC(or similar tube size) to the individual bulkheads.

My only concern... What size tank is your sump/fuge going to consist of? Once you put in two bubble traps you're going to be cramped for space. My suggestion would be to put the skimmer and fuge inline and have the return chamber seperated with a bubble trap. Kinda like this...

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2008, 08:18 AM   #3
sslak
Registered Member

The sump will be a 20g Long. I haven't purchased it yet, because I'm still plotting and scheming!

I really want to keep my equipment all IN the sump, having external devices makes me nervous. The only thing I want to worry about is my plumbing.

I definately plan on using 1" Flex PVC return line up to the Y, then it will be 3/4" everywhere else. I may use the 1" FlexPVC before the Y in the drain line as well. I plan on using 3/4" bulkheads all around, with a 1" PVC Durso.

I need to figure out how to make a professional looking overflow, and I need to figure out how far down from the trim the overflow needs to be to keep the water level high enough that you can't see it through the glass.

Current Tank Info: 58 Oceanic/20g Sump/250w XM 20k/2x39w T5 True Actinic 03/2010 Reef Octopus NW Cone Skimmer
Unread 02/14/2008, 08:54 AM   #4
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

Sounds very cool and interesting! I'd love to see a 30B setup! You always see 40B. Definitely keep an update with lots of pics!

DamnPepShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 07:01 AM   #5
sslak
Registered Member

So, it's time for an update! I ordered some of my plumbing parts so I can start planning the drilling stages.

I also picked up the tank!

Here it is:

I don't know if a 30B is big enough for this species of catfish...She seemed to like the tank, I need to plan carefully or I fear I'm going to have a problem with pawprints on the glass!

It snowed here earlier this week. Here's a picture off the balcony of my apartment during the storm, I guess I won't be grilling tonight!

And here's my car....I ended up clearing over 19 inches off the roof by the time the snow was all said and done. It's a 06 Subaru Impreza and I LOVE tearing around in snow with the All-Wheel-Drive!

Unread 02/15/2008, 07:21 AM   #6
sslak
Registered Member

Here's the updated plumbing diagram with the closed loop and SCWD:

It isn't quite to scale, as I will have to offset the intake for the closed loop from center more to be able to clear the overflow. I plan on putting the closed loop intake behind one of my rock islands, hopefully concealing it and making it safer for my inhabitants.

Unread 02/15/2008, 10:06 AM   #7
sslak
Registered Member

I just got my new ReefKeeper 2 and hooked it up on my BioCube for temporary use while I work on putting together the 30 Breeder. Once the new tank is up the BioCube will either be used for QT or frags...possibly both!

I'm very impressed with the quality of this controller. I can't beleive how many timers and outlet strips I was able to remove from my simple BioCube setup with just this one device. I can't wait to get the new tank running with this thing!

Unread 02/15/2008, 10:19 AM   #8
WinnipegDragon
Canuckian

One thing to consider. Have you thought about feeding your refugium off of your return? My original plumbing diagram had a similar setup as yours, and I was advised that it would result in a lot of detritus building up in the fuge.

Just a thought.

Unread 02/15/2008, 11:02 AM   #9
sslak
Registered Member

Hrmmm. I don't think I want to plumb anything off the return other than the return itself.

If anything I will probably incorporate a filter sock on the outlet that feeds the Refugium.

I just read in several places that your refugium water shouldn't have high flow, which is why I have it on the throttled down drain line rather than running the entire flow of the sump through the refugium on it's way to the return chamber.

I "could" T off the return to feed the refugium, but I don't like that idea. I want to keep the plumbing as simple as possible, and maximize flow in the return line.

I also find it difficult to beleive that much fish poop is going to be going over the top of my overflow and down the drain. I would imagine the majority of that will settle in the display itself if anywhere.

Unread 02/15/2008, 11:08 AM   #10
sslak
Registered Member

Also, I might be wrong, but isn't the fuge where I WANT all the detritus and un-eaten food particulate to go? Thats the whole point of a fuge isn't it, to allow those things to decay correctly and de-nitrify outside of the display tank?

I'll be using a DSB in the fuge, along with cheato and possibly other macro-algae if it strikes my fancy.

Unread 02/15/2008, 11:15 AM   #11
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sslak
Also, I might be wrong, but isn't the fuge where I WANT all the detritus and un-eaten food particulate to go? Thats the whole point of a fuge isn't it, to allow those things to decay correctly and de-nitrify outside of the display tank?

I'll be using a DSB in the fuge, along with cheato and possibly other macro-algae if it strikes my fancy.
Your setup will be fine
Although, I would probably nix the urchin in favor of a needlewheel. That's JMO though.

Current Tank Info: Custom 180gal, 6x80w ATI T-5s, (2) Tunze 6025, Vortec MP40w, MSX200 w/ red demon, controlled by AcJR.
SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Shekki
Registered Member

If you're building your own stand for this, why not use another 30 for a sump. I just added a 75 gallon sump to my 75 gallon display and things have never looked better. With the extra room you could even make a separate section in the sump to hold a few gallons of top off water.

Are you going BB?

Current Tank Info: Elos mini, reefkeeper 2, Vortech MP20, ice cap moonlight, Reef Fanatic ATO
Shekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 01:01 PM   #13
sslak
Registered Member

I thought the 20L would be a nice size and shape for a sump, that was my main reason for choosing that size.

The only reason I didn't plan to use another 30Br as the sump is that I wanted some space left under the tank in case I ever wanted to add extra equipment like an ATO unit and topoff water storage jug, CO2 reactor or canister filter.

The sump decision is based on the protien skimmer size ultimately....do you have a bad experience with Urchin Skimmers?

Unread 02/15/2008, 01:26 PM   #14
just dave
11th in '11

If you use a Wye on your return each outlet will back siphon independent of the other.

If you Tee them and have the horizontal run slightly higher 'n the bulkheads one outlet will break siphon for both ,which means one could be pointed much lower 'n the other and the uppermost will break siphon for each.

just dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 01:30 PM   #15
rustybucket145
Registered Member

A great looking overflow is a piece of 3" PVC cut about 6"s +/- tall and then ripped long ways. You can then glue a flat piece of acrylic to one side and use the other end as the top of your overflow. You can cut teeth in the top side but it is not totally necessary. Paint it black with Krylon fusion and you're good to go . As for the water level I always try to put the top of my overflow slightly below the lowest part of the plastic rim.

I agree with you having all equipment inside, as I said, the pic is just a guide.

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 01:37 PM   #16
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
I agree with you having all equipment inside, as I said, the pic is just a guide.
I disagree on your diagram... It needs some work. If you want to guide the willing, at least guide them wisely.

1. You don't pipe your skimmer pump from an overflow drain for a skimmer.
2. In your diagram there is no way to control the amount of flow through the refugium. All of your sump flows THROUGH the refugium. This is not ideal.
3. Having a bubble trap before the return pump is also helpful (although not necessary).
4. There is no good reason for having all that equipment outside the sump (other than for saving room) if it will all work fine inside it.

Current Tank Info: Custom 180gal, 6x80w ATI T-5s, (2) Tunze 6025, Vortec MP40w, MSX200 w/ red demon, controlled by AcJR.
Unread 02/15/2008, 01:41 PM   #17
sslak
Registered Member

So you think the design I posted looks ok?

I wanted to avoid running 1 million gallons per hour thru my refugium.

I also like the reviews i'm reading on the AquaC Urchin....everyone says it's simple and reliable. I already know Maxi-Jet pumps are reliable and work well.

Is there a better, hassle free skimmer out there for the same price tag?

Unread 02/15/2008, 04:31 PM   #18
NanoGurl
Moved On

Looking great so far! I love your cat and the photos of the snow... that looks kinda fun! The last time it snowed here a lot we took our truck out for some fun too!

I saw your RK2. I am very close to ordering one... I also agree that it would be great to remove outlets and timers...

Something to consider with a 20l sump.. the height. Make sure you adjust your water level enough so when the tank pumps are turned off there is enough space in the sump to handle it so it does not ovefrlow.

I am using a 29g for a sump.. and it has given me plenty of room for a ASMG3 skimmer, small fuge area, and return pump section... with two sets of bubble traps.. plus enough height for added water when the pumps are off.

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2008, 09:12 AM   #19
sslak
Registered Member

Hey NanoGurl, thanks for stopping by! The snow was fun, I really like snow...it's the cold that isn't so fun.

I have been thinking the 20L sump design over again. You are right, it's only 12 inches tall, which isn't much space. I think I might go with a 29 instead. That will also increase my total water volume.

How do you like that skimmer NG? I haven't 100% decided on one yet. Did you find you had to tinker with yours a lot to get it to work right?

Oh, and if you have the money to spend, you will not regret buying the ReefKeeper2. I think it would simplify things greatly on that beautiful new Tech 120 you've got going!

Unread 02/16/2008, 09:19 AM   #20
sslak
Registered Member

Woohooo!

My package from MarineDepot arrived today!

Here's what it had inside!

I've got my flex-PVC for the return lines. The 4 bulkheads you see are 3/4" slip-slip. They will be the 2 returns from the sump, as well as 2 for the closed loop.

The MJ900 is just for mixing water...the stock pump I pulled out of my BioCube that I had been using to mix water failed. (good thing I replaced it!)

Purigen for the BioCube. I love that stuff, it really seems to polish the water and increase clarity!

I think I'm going to oversize my drain a bit and use a 1" bulkhead there with a 1.5" PVC durso standpipe.

I still can't decide if I should feed the closed loop with a 1" or a 3/4" bulkhead. Any thoughts? Bigger is better right?

Unread 02/16/2008, 09:29 AM   #21
sniggir
Registered Member

I would have to agree with the post about switching out skimmers.. maybe get a tunze nano.. or a 9005, they are small reliable.. and have a better rating. Just sems that everything so far has been top of line why not have you back top notch aswell.
altho I have heard decent reviews about the urchin.. but not realy in the same level as some of the other.

like you design thus far I think this will be a fun build thread for sure.

Current Tank Info: 65 gal bow front... 90 lbs LR 100lbs LS 20 gal sump 400w 12k reeflux, 3 49w T5 UV true attinic.. Mostly SPS with some Rarer LPS and thxs to my wife alot of Zoa
sniggir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2008, 09:38 AM   #22
sslak
Registered Member

Ok, well I started playing around with the bulkheads and I like them as high on the tank as possible. Here's a couple pictures of the placement. I eyeballed these for now...I'll measure it out for the final placement.

Are the bulkheads too close to the trim piece? Will that compromise the structural integrity of the aquarium?

Unread 02/16/2008, 09:47 AM   #23
sniggir
Registered Member

careful when drilling the holes so close to the trimI would try and make sure that the hole is atleast 2 from the top of the trim

Current Tank Info: 65 gal bow front... 90 lbs LR 100lbs LS 20 gal sump 400w 12k reeflux, 3 49w T5 UV true attinic.. Mostly SPS with some Rarer LPS and thxs to my wife alot of Zoa
sniggir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2008, 09:58 AM   #24
executivelewis
Registered Member

im very sure its to late. You could try to return the 30b and get a 40b same foot print just a little taller. Unless the stand is super tall its kinda a pain to look into a 30b while standing. I was going to use a 30b instead i went with a 40b for the extra height. Just a few thoughts

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder w/basment reef room
executivelewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2008, 02:32 PM   #25
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by executivelewis
im very sure its to late. You could try to return the 30b and get a 40b same foot print just a little taller. Unless the stand is super tall its kinda a pain to look into a 30b while standing. I was going to use a 30b instead i went with a 40b for the extra height. Just a few thoughts
Short tanks rule!