Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 06/21/2008, 04:10 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...2#post12793982

Unread 06/21/2008, 04:10 PM   #2
NanoGurl
Moved On

Okay, so there have been a lot of changes since the last split. I’ll summarize and update everything going on below. There have been a few additions and a few evictions as well! Overall things have been going very well with the new Tech 120 and we like it a lot. Still thinking about that 240g upgrade =)

Current Photo of the Tank:

Equipment List:

120g Oceanic Tech Tank
Oceanic Black Matching Stand – Minus one broken glass door
½” Starboard Bottom
2 x 150MH Phoenix 14k Bulbs Inside Reef Optix III Fixtures w/Ice Cap Electronic Ballasts
75+ Pounds Figi Premium LR
40g Sump with Mag 9.5 Return
ASM G3 Skimmer
Jager 250w Heater

Livestock List:

2 x Ora Black Perculas - Eight Ball & Orca
Powder Blue Tang - Ocean
Lyretail Anthias
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Mandarin
Fire Shrimp
35+ Astrea Snails
12 Black Grazer Snails
35+ Blue Leg Hermits
10+ Red Leg Hermits
Misc Stars & Other Inverts

Coral List:

RBTA
Pink Birdsnest
Blue Tip Lemon Lime Acropora
Violet Acropora
Turquoise Acropora
Blue/Green Candycane
Frogspawn x Hammer
Orange & Blue Ricordea
Blue Ricordea
Blue/Green Open Brain
Purple & Green Brain
Blue Mushrooms
Green Moon Palys
Sunflower Zoas
Cotton Candy Zoas
Watermellon Zoas
Bam Bam Zoas
Fire & Ice Zoas
Pink Zoas
Pulsating Xenias
Blue Maxima Clam

Latest Eviction

Oreo.. my 20” zebra eel. We decided to remove him from the 120 for a couple of reasons. The major one being he absolutely hated the new column look and feel of the tank. He refused to eat and would wander the tank trying to get away from the light and find a better hiding spot. Something that is very unusual for him.

So we decided to set him up in his own tank for now until we can figure out more long term plans. He immediately calmed down upon tank transfers and actually ate that same night for the first time in a bit. Something that is also unusual for zebra eels.

Tech Setup

We finally were able to get the 120 setup and going during the last split. There were a lot of delays due to moving and such, and we ended up setting the tank across the room from where it will eventually go. We were waiting to tile the basement floor before we got the tank going, but couldn’t wait any longer. Our corals were starting to suffer being in a skimmerless stock tank for too long.

Where the tank is setup for now.

Aquascaping done and tank being filled with water – 5/31/08 The Day RC Waited For LoL

Everything transferred over – 6/1/08

Got the plumbing done and sump hooked up - 6/5/08 The Day Melev Waited For LoL

And of course a couple of action shots occurred.

I dropped the tongs!

Last edited by NanoGurl; 06/21/2008 at 04:17 PM.
Unread 06/21/2008, 04:12 PM   #3
kar93
Registered Member

Congrats on the split, Whats with the "edit"?

Unread 06/21/2008, 04:20 PM   #4
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks! I was trying to do something that didn't work. They closed the thread and won't let me go back and edit it.

Unread 06/21/2008, 04:26 PM   #5
NanoGurl
Moved On

I tried to go back and answer these in the previous split, but it's closed and won't let me.

J.R.L. - Thank you. I love the starboard so far. The only bad thing that I can tell is eventually when the coraline takes over you will no longer have a white bottom. Not sure I will like that look when it's purple.

EBOLII - Nope, no word from Oceanic all week.

bryman - That's really scary to me and one of the reasons why I hate adding chemicals to the tank. You just never know. And thanks for the info on my clam. I'm pretty sure that photo it was just opening and closing from the light from the camera. It doesn't like the flash.

Here is another bad photo of it. I can't seem to get the colors accurate and pattern.. but maybe you can tell from this photo if it looks any better.

Unread 06/21/2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Schwe
Registered Member

Congrats on the split!!

Hey, here's a question... Have you ever had an issue with your Anemone and your other corals?

-L

[i]Because the archenemy of "Good Enough" is "Better."
Patrick12 of Okinawa, Japan[/i]

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon- 20G Sump, DSB, 50x turnover, Icecap T5 Retrofit
Unread 06/21/2008, 04:33 PM   #7
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks gf! No, I haven't had any problems.. but I keep my other corals far enough away from it that it can't sting them.

Unread 06/21/2008, 05:31 PM   #8
kar93
Registered Member

If you get a top down photobox from Melev, I bet you will have no problems capturing that clams colours.

Unread 06/21/2008, 05:39 PM   #9
NanoGurl
Moved On

I think Marc finally got ate by something in his tank. He's M.I.A.

Unread 06/21/2008, 07:00 PM   #10
melev
Moved On

I've been swamped with work, and then I had to prepare my reef for our club's Tank Tour, which occurred today. I got 1.5 hours sleep before making the 85+ mile trip visiting 9 destinations today, including my own tank.

Chemi-clean: Nothing to worry about, totally safe, used it many many times. I just treated my reef about 10 days ago, leaving it in the system for 5 days while the cyano died off. The entire time my skimmer was off, and I didn't run carbon either.

As always, it works as advertised. Another brand that works is Blue Life's Red Slime Control. It too will get rid of that red stuff, and takes just about the same amount of time. Then I change a bunch of water, fire up the skimmer, run carbon actively in a Phosban Reactor, and empty the collection cup about hourly as the skimmer pulls out all kinds of watery goop. I just replace that water with newly mixed saltwater.

Thanks for all the action shots.

Unread 06/21/2008, 07:51 PM   #11
NanoGurl
Moved On

You're welcome, thanks for the info. I don't know... I will see what happens after I change the bulbs and try the lights out. If that doesn't work I may have to add the chemicals.

Did you have a fun time?

Unread 06/21/2008, 07:54 PM   #12
NanoGurl
Moved On

Okay... so Marine Depot sent me a pm to let me know about my pump. This is what they said:

"Hi Jessica, I received the pump today, I looked it over and it looks like it was missing a bushing on the bottom part of the impeller, that would be a good reason why it would start and stop, there was nothing there for it to really grab on to to spin."

Unread 06/21/2008, 08:32 PM   #13
melev
Moved On

Yes, I love the tank tours. I just wish I would have had a full night's sleep first.

Looks like Marine Depot is on the ball.

Unread 06/21/2008, 08:37 PM   #14
crvz
Team RC Member

I've not seen the tank in a while... I like it! Looks a little like my own setup.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 06/21/2008, 09:29 PM   #15
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yes, I love the tank tours. I just wish I would have had a full night's sleep first.
No doubt... now go get in bed and have sweet dreams of Kate Perry dancing in your head!

Unread 06/21/2008, 09:30 PM   #16
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
I've not seen the tank in a while... I like it! Looks a little like my own setup.
Hey you =) Thanks... I finally got the starboard going so I'm part of the club!

Unread 06/21/2008, 09:37 PM   #17
NanoGurl
Moved On

Saturday Update!

I've decided to go dark. Three days with no lights to see how that does with the cyno problem. I figured now is a good time to try it... I just cleaned the tank well yesterday and siphoned a lot of it out. So I am really interested to see if it goes away.. and if it does... when/if it comes back.

I will keep the lights off sunday, monday and tuesday... and install the new lights I just got from Hellolights. (btw, they shipped my order very fast and packing was excellent)... I'm also going to take the advice and lower the amount of hours the MH lights are on to 8.

The new SPS seem to be doing okay so far... I haven't really seen a lot of polyp extension.. but I'm not really sure if this kind does it or not. My birdsnest is doing good as are all my zoas and other LPS corals. The skimmer is finally working properly again.

Won't be much to report until Wednesday!

Unread 06/21/2008, 10:32 PM   #18
RevHtree
Registered Member.

I am another chemi-clean user. Probably used it 5 time or so over 4 years. Never had any issues at all using it. Oh except red slime algae goes bye bye!

Love the aquascaping!

Unread 06/22/2008, 12:58 AM   #19
Slakker
Premium Member

I wish my thread would split...or....you know...get read...

I suppose I would have to have something interesting going on with my tank for that to happen though...or some sweet action shots...but on these male dominated boards I just don't think mine would get the same kind of positive attention yours do...

Glad to hear you were pleased with Hellolights. I've ordered bulbs from them a couple of times before, and got the retro kit for my actinics from them as well. I couldn't be more pleased with their service.

I hope the return of the sun reveals a tank clear of cyanobacteria...that stuff can be a pain. I used to get it in my nano on a regular basis, and then it just kind of went away. Haven't seen a spot of it in months.

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Unread 06/22/2008, 03:49 AM   #20
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Grats on the split. I looked at the pictures quickly and I thought it was someone's young daughter crouched by the tank

Good luck with your cyano problem. What salt are you using? I just read somewhere that the evaporated salts can tend to have more issues with algae outbreaks.
When in doubt...more flow.

8 Foot Envisions
Unread 06/22/2008, 03:55 AM   #21
spleen93
crabby hermit

NG is a Lakers fan!

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
Unread 06/22/2008, 05:54 AM   #22
Tswifty
Registered Member

Congrats on the split, and nice summary to boot

Unread 06/22/2008, 09:39 AM   #23
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by RevHtree
I am another chemi-clean user. Probably used it 5 time or so over 4 years. Never had any issues at all using it. Oh except red slime algae goes bye bye!

Love the aquascaping!
Thanks! =)

Did you add an air stone when you tried it? I keep hearing good things.. but when I read some reviews people say it killed their fish and inverts... but who knows what was wrong with their tanks.

Unread 06/22/2008, 09:45 AM   #24
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
I wish my thread would split...or....you know...get read...
Just do what I do... just keep talking until you force people to respond =)

Thanks for the info. That is wha I am hoping.. that it will help it go away and then the tank will level out and take care of it itself. I've been battling it for a year. It's never bad enough to cause an outbreak.. but bad enough it gets on corals sometimes and messes them up. I want it gone from my tank so it's on!!

Unread 06/22/2008, 09:50 AM   #25
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish
Grats on the split. I looked at the pictures quickly and I thought it was someone's young daughter crouched by the tank

Good luck with your cyano problem. What salt are you using? I just read somewhere that the evaporated salts can tend to have more issues with algae outbreaks.
When in doubt...more flow.
Haha I am not that small! =) I look young though.. nobody believes me I still get carded for everything even the movies sometimes. It's crazy.

I am using Reef Crystals.. that's the only salt I've ever used. It seems to be pretty good from my experiences.

Thanks.. I'll update what happens.

Closed Thread