Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/23/2007, 11:37 PM   #1
dga
Registered Member

auto top off triple backup...

im sure its been done, but for those that are always looking for another setup. in my search for a complete backup system where i do not have to ever worry about overflowing the main tank with my auto top off system, i find using a digital timer along with my 2 float switches can limit the amount of water to the tank if either float were to stick in the on position. in my setup i have the digital timer set for a 1 min cycle every day of the week. that way when both floats send their signal to the relay, the pump in the reservoir wont turn on until the preset time. tests show in my application that if i bypass the floats, with the pump only running for 1 min the water level stays within 1/2" of the rim. high, but no overflow. with the rate of my evaporation, once a day cycle keeps my skimmer and overflow happy. the operator likes it to.

Old 01/24/2007, 01:40 AM   #2
bart1976
Registered Member

Looks great.

I have a question.
I'm trying to make my own top off system but I have no electrical knowledge.
Can float switches be put directly on the pump power cord and handle 110V, or does it require seperate low voltage circuit?

Can you picture your shematics?

bart1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 02:00 AM   #3
shouldabenacowboy
Registered Member

I use a similar setup except I use 2 float switches in series. I did this just incase 1 switch stuck up, down or in between nothing would happen. Both switches have to made (low level) before my pump comes on. I had this setup on my 5.5g for a year with no problems and put it on my 24 Aquapod when I moved everything else over. I had the 2 float switches wired to a 12v dc relay which fired my pump.

SBC

They're trying to put an end to guys like me - Gary Allan

Cuz there aint nothing funny when a soldier cries - John Michael Montgomery
shouldabenacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 03:45 AM   #4
shouldabenacowboy
Registered Member

Here is a rough schematic of my setup....maybe it will help ya..

SBC

They're trying to put an end to guys like me - Gary Allan

Cuz there aint nothing funny when a soldier cries - John Michael Montgomery
shouldabenacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 08:29 AM   #5
bart1976
Registered Member

It does help.
So, float switches has to be on seperate low voltage circuit. What do u use for relay (part No, supplier)?

Old 01/24/2007, 08:35 AM   #6
killingseed
Registered Member

i just did an qutotop off , got most the parts from
http://www.aquahub.com
wired just like shouldabenacowboy shetch but i have a third switch in the reserve tank that turn the system off when the reseve is low. its a nice kit, i didnt like the project box , was too small i picked up a bigger one from Radio Shack. i also added some lights to it , one to show its on , one to show the pump is running i thought about adding one for each switch , maybe down the road.

the next thing i plan on doing with it "later today" is add 2 prong RCA connecters to the switches and project box so i dont have to take it apart to replace any the float switches. i just have to unjack the switch and rejack one in.

i will try to add some pics of what i sdid later today.

killingseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 10:48 AM   #7
pvtschultz
Registered Member

You can use straight 120VAC for low wattage pumps like an aqualifter. The relay circuit is much safer though.

pvtschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 11:49 AM   #8
oldsaltman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shouldabenacowboy
I use a similar setup except I use 2 float switches in series. I did this just incase 1 switch stuck up, down or in between nothing would happen. Both switches have to made (low level) before my pump comes on. I had this setup on my 5.5g for a year with no problems and put it on my 24 Aquapod when I moved everything else over. I had the 2 float switches wired to a 12v dc relay which fired my pump.

SBC
Mine is just like this and works great...
Also with the two switches at the same level your ATO doesn't allow the water to drop much before it comes on so the water level stays much more stable.

Current Tank Info: 90g inwall with a 30g sump
oldsaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 12:26 PM   #9
bart1976
Registered Member

Thank you pvtschultz.

killingseed, http://www.aquahub.com contains all answers and its a great source of cheap parts, thank you

Old 01/24/2007, 02:37 PM   #10
jc286006
Registered Member

i just ordered their deluxe setup last week ordered it on monday morning had it on tuesday evening payed their regular shipping charge not over night, they ship super fast !!!!!

jc286006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 02:43 PM   #11
cristhiam
Registered Member

check out the www.autotopoff.com that where I got my double switch. It uses a relay.

Current Tank Info: 125 AGA, 3 40W 6500K, 3 110W URI Actinics, running on 2 IceCaps 660, CSS125
cristhiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2007, 03:56 PM   #12
dga
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by killingseed
i just did an qutotop off , got most the parts from
http://www.aquahub.com
wired just like shouldabenacowboy shetch but i have a third switch in the reserve tank that turn the system off when the reseve is low. its a nice kit, i didnt like the project box , was too small i picked up a bigger one from Radio Shack. i also added some lights to it , one to show its on , one to show the pump is running i thought about adding one for each switch , maybe down the road.

the next thing i plan on doing with it "later today" is add 2 prong RCA connecters to the switches and project box so i dont have to take it apart to replace any the float switches. i just have to unjack the switch and rejack one in.

i will try to add some pics of what i sdid later today.
another float in the reservoir is a great idea. quad backup...

Old 01/24/2007, 05:56 PM   #13
killingseed
Registered Member

these are some images from my auquahub kit. it was on my tank and working fine, but i wanted a way to not have to take it apart when a switch needs to be replaced. i installed the rca jacks and now i am very happy with it. i might not be happy about the pricing at radio shack but still for the price i paid all togather it was worth it.

killingseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2007, 01:44 AM   #14
dga
Registered Member

you can also just use quick disconnects in your wiring harness.