Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/30/2006, 02:13 AM   #1
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

My bare bottom tank build

Hi everyone!

A new tank brings excitement. Im on my way to a new bare bottom sps tank. My idea is to go for the ulitimate bare bottom hard core sps setup. I want it perfect this time. We will see how good bare bottom is, if not ill throw some sand in.

My tank plans are probably a 115 gallon. I may change it as I go in height. Currently Im thinking about 48long x 18wide x 30tall. So this tank will have about 10" more height than my other 125. I like the height.

So i started the stand first. Set up the 2x4 frame with wood screws. Here you can see the ends have double 2x4s on each corner.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

another shot

and the last

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 02:16 AM   #2
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Next was the top of the stand. I used laminated maple plywood for less cost. It measures 48x18. Kind of a waste since you wont see it with the tank.

Then the really hard part. The face of the stand. Ill let the pics do the talking.

It turned out good. For now I let it dry.

Comments?

Old 11/30/2006, 02:26 AM   #3
dippin61
Registered Member

looks good. cant wait for the progress pics. keep us updated

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon BB Low Iron Glass, Dual 110w VHO Actinics, 250w PFO MH 20k XM
dippin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 03:42 AM   #4
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Thanks dippin61, appreciate the comments.

Will try and get as many pics in as I can. I cant decide on the starfire front or regular. But im not going cheap on this tank, no matter how long I need to save my pennies

Besides the girlfriend said this is my tank. The other is hers.

Heres some equipment pics I may use:
Gen-x 1100gph pump, seems under flow for a closed loop? I had it sitting around from my other tank.Maybee i need to upgrade this? I dont know crap about closed loops but i think i need one. Ball valves to close or increase flow, ect. Good stuff!

Uv light. 13.5 watt. Had it sitting around also. Kill off all the little buggers that come and go. Destroy phytoplankton if it gets outa hand.
And last but not least. A inverter. Im thinking about setting up a car battery on this 600watt battery back up. Run my pumps to save all the corals. I know nothing about wiring here. But it will be fun.
3 plugs. Pump, skimmer, maybee a light.
the wiring area

Box

Old 11/30/2006, 04:06 AM   #5
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

This is the skimmer I may swap. It rated for a 400 gallon. Its one of those reef octopus 30" tall. I will clean it up nice. Although I have to say im not too impressed with the air injection that cloggs and does not put out much air. I may change my mind for somthing else. Notice the mess from my old tank . New one will be nice and organized.

Thats all tonight. Im off to bed. Tommorow I will attach the face and sand the face down. Put the sides on. Then I gotta look for some nice crown moulding.

Old 11/30/2006, 07:30 AM   #6
King-Kong
Registered Member

Great to see you building a new tank from scratch, with BB in mind.

Let me suggest, however, that which im sure you already know;

FLOW, SKIMMING, FLOW, SKIMMING, AND THEN LOTS OF FOOD/FISH!

Otherwise, you will be one of the many BB'ers who end up with pale corals and STN issues.

When I first went BB i was skimming dry, and only had 2500gph of flow in my 90g. I also laid my rock out such that flow couldnt effectively get underneath it and sweep away the detritus.

After 6-7 months of poor growth, colors, etc., I gave the tank a minor rebirth. Flow is up to 6500gph, rocks were totally redone (instead of flat side down, it's pointy side down, minimizing the amount of rock touching the bottom), and im skimming tea colored water. I also added more fish and am trying to feed more.

Now, I've got better PE than before, better growth, and healthier colors (though still trying for more... need to feed more!).

Get lots of food in for those fish so they can break it down for your SPS bacteria farmers, then get that unused food out quickly, and you'll have SPS success!

King-Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 01:51 PM   #7
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Yea my old tank really skimps on flow. I whent bb in that and it did not work very well. Plus my rock are loaded with phosphate and my fish were getting fed 10x a day. Not to mention the fact that my sump was loaded with dirtritus all the time. And I did not cook my rock either. So I cant say the last was a failer because It was done totally wrong.

On this new tank I need to get the desighn right. Im thinking about doing an upside down overflow to use gravity as my friend here. Normally the overflow is on top, I want it on the bottom. Then where the bulkhead is just put the riser tube to the top of the tank. This imo would create a tunneling effect. Sucking dirt off the bottom. One lfs said no because if your bulkhead leaks then you cant stop it. Thats what the glass baffle is for.... But it sounds cool.

I cant decide on a closed loop or just pipes sticking out all over the place. I want it as simple as possible. Im kind of scared to have holes all over the place in this tank. Leaks you know. But I want the flow to be as crazy as possible and controllable.

Here is my idea for upside down overflow. Tell me if you think its a bad idea.

Old 11/30/2006, 01:58 PM   #8
King-Kong
Registered Member

AGA megaflows have slots going almost all the way down, but at the end force the water upward before it falls into the back compartment. So, the idea of changing where the water is skimmed from isnt totally new; that said, I really think you're gonna want SOME surface skimming. A lot of porteins will build up on the surface, and with nothing removing it, it could look a little gross.

I dont know what your budget is, but personally, I would never do a CL because of how easy and efficient it is to just throw in some powerheads. The powerheads I would suggest, however, are vortechs. Virtually nothing visible inside the tank, and tons of wide flow. Have you considered going that route? They are about $340 each for 3000gph+.

Old 11/30/2006, 02:10 PM   #9
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Yea I considered them. Even Tunze streams. But my problem is im impatient Ok your reasoning sounds right, if im scared of holes in the tank then why get a closed loop right? I think Ill do the vortecs. Money will not be a concern here, although I may have to save up.

What about this. Double overflows on same side in each corner,one upside down and the other surface skim(regular overflow). Plus Ill leave room in the middle for my wave box. This way everything looks clean. Do you know if wavebox's will work in a 4 foot 30" tall? It better! I know the min is 4 ft. Dont know if hieght effects it.

Also, Im thinkng about not using any rocks. Instead I want to build a fiberglass rock looking structure. Make a reef table top for sps on the top, then put lower areas below(less light) for softies! I got a crazy imagination...

Box

Old 11/30/2006, 02:45 PM   #10
RichConley
Registered Member

Boxfish, about 10 minutes of mods can fix all those issues with the skimmer. (Its a NW200, right?)

I'm not really a big fan of that style stand. When you have the 2x4s inside the frame like that, theyre not really supporting the weight directly. The screws attaching the frame to them are, and that creates a point of weakness. Its generally better to have the 2x4s directly under the frame. You'd have a stronger stand, and more room inside.

Old 11/30/2006, 03:00 PM   #11
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

RichConley,

Yea the stand is a little under-engineered. Although its really over-built for a 115 gallon i think. So any imperfections on my part may make up for the flaws. Hopefully What can I do now besides take it apart?

What do you have to do for the nw-200(my skimmer)?

Old 11/30/2006, 03:13 PM   #12
King-Kong
Registered Member

Wavebox you say?

Check out this video made by reefcast/ Melev showing off the Vortech wireless controller and its wave generating capabilities.

http://www.reefcast.com/videos/vortec2.mpg

Note: Vortechs purchased today DO NOT SUPPORT THE WIRELESS CONTROLLER. When the controller is released, you will have to send in your vortech, and pay a fee to have it "upgraded" to wireless controllable capaiblity. Many of us arent happy about this, because we got into the vortechs assuming it would have this capability out of the box, once the controller was released. Read more here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=966729

Old 11/30/2006, 03:14 PM   #13
RichConley
Registered Member

The stand will most likely be fine. Maybe put some little wood triangles in (gussets, IIRC) to distribute force down to the legs.

As to the skimmer, if nothing has been done to it, its most likely pulling between 10-15 scfh. The most fruitful, easy mods are boring out the nipple that the airline attaches to, and the hole for it on the inside of the venturi, and porting out the output pipe of the pump a little bit. If you still want to push it, gutterguard/mesh impellar mods make a big difference.

With minor tweaks, you should be able to go from 10 to about 20 or 25 scfh. If you want to start doign a lot, you can pull almost 40, but the neck isnt really big enough for any more than 30.

Old 11/30/2006, 04:16 PM   #14
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by King-Kong
Wavebox you say?

Check out this video made by reefcast/ Melev showing off the Vortech wireless controller and its wave generating capabilities.

http://www.reefcast.com/videos/vortec2.mpg

Note: Vortechs purchased today DO NOT SUPPORT THE WIRELESS CONTROLLER. When the controller is released, you will have to send in your vortech, and pay a fee to have it "upgraded" to wireless controllable capaiblity. Many of us arent happy about this, because we got into the vortechs assuming it would have this capability out of the box, once the controller was released. Read more here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=966729
Man that video is huge! Ill have to look at it later took 5 mins and no video yet.

So then It seems that I would not need a wavebox. Ill keep it on the other tank then. But im thinking 3 votex pumps all on one side of the tank.

The stand will most likely be fine. Maybe put some little wood triangles in (gussets, IIRC) to distribute force down to the legs.

I am not sure where to put those or what it is? I still dont think its needed, maybee draw a diagram? Use one of my pics if you want.

As to the skimmer, if nothing has been done to it, its most likely pulling between 10-15 scfh. The most fruitful, easy mods are boring out the nipple that the airline attaches to, and the hole for it on the inside of the venturi, and porting out the output pipe of the pump a little bit. If you still want to push it, gutterguard/mesh impellar mods make a big difference.

I dont think ill do the guttergaurd. But I may drill out the inside. IIRC the oring is too big too? What size o ring was the replacment?

Old 11/30/2006, 05:07 PM   #15
msuzuki126
Registered Member

If you threw two or three penductors on that GenX you could get some serious flow.

Matt.

Current Tank Info: 90 rebuild
msuzuki126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 05:13 PM   #16
drummereef
Team RC Member

Looking good Box! Tagging.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 06:03 PM   #17
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Thx everyone. I watched that video. OMG that is nutz. After seeing that im selling the wavebox. Serously I paid 650cdn for the wavebox those things mutilate the box man.

Im going with Vortec pumps!!! Insane.

Updates to come today some time

Old 11/30/2006, 06:15 PM   #18
King-Kong
Registered Member

Well hey, dont sell it YET; remember, that controller doesnt exist, and isnt expected for a couple/few months at best. Just realize there may be something on the horizon

Old 11/30/2006, 08:01 PM   #19
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

I did a deighn change. The skimmer I have is 30" tall so I had to increase my space. I moved 2 of the 2x4's because i needed the height. The bottom is for the sump area to the right. It will be a small sump. But better than nothing.

Next what I did was attach the face. I flipped it over and put buckets underneath to support it. I know its cheesy but thats all i had. Im doing this in my living room! Thank god girl friends at work.. Wood glue, and finishing nails here. Just clamp for 20 minutes and do the next. The wood glue is present, but I still have to sand that out. It should come off and not show after the stain.

Next was the sides. My frame was not exacly strait so there is some inconsitencies of the face attachment to the sides. No biggie cause its not supporting anything. As long as it looks good in the end. Same procedure for the sides.

Then when all dry, I flipped it over. This is the face done. Next comes the fancy work.

Box

Old 12/01/2006, 12:27 PM   #20
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

I cant decide guys. Crown moulding or this stuff. Crown moulding is about 12$ a foot. I need 21 feet total. thats 252 dollars for crown moulding. For this stuff in the picture is about 80 dollars.

Does it look good or should i do somthing else? Maybee match my other tank? This is the canopy.

Old 12/01/2006, 12:32 PM   #21
King-Kong
Registered Member

I think the cheaper stuff will still look very very nice.

Then again, I use a wrought iron stand, so I may not have the best taste ;P

Old 12/01/2006, 01:04 PM   #22
Phoric
Registered Member

Did you use maple for the whole stand or just the top? I want to build a stand but the only wood I can find around here is cedar, pine, and fir and I'd rather use a hardwood like maple or beech or something.

Current Tank Info: 29gal nano sumpless reef, 2x65w PC, Deltec MCE300
Phoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2006, 02:06 PM   #23
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

I think the cheaper stuff will still look very very nice

Thanks, I think ill go with this stuff.

Did you use maple for the whole stand or just the top? I want to build a stand but the only wood I can find around here is cedar, pine, and fir and I'd rather use a hardwood like maple or beech or something.

I used laminated maple for the sides, front and top. It cost me 51cdn for a 4x8 sheet. I got it cut at home depot cause i dont have a table saw. They really suck at making cuts there. Thats why my stand is incosistant. The moulding I use is pine.

But you can stain any wood to the colour your want. So wood is not a problem imo. Then add the varnish to make it shine.

Old 12/02/2006, 01:47 PM   #24
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

actually i cant go with the cheaper stuff because the girlfriend wants crown moulding

I started some of the moulding. I cut them at 45 degree bends. But one piece I cut too short. O well mistakes learned.

The glue on the wood takes so much sanding. Im going to take some time doing this.

I painted the inside of the stand blue... Looks ok. I want my plumbing to be blue and I dont wanna see any salt creep!! I hate that stuff.

Old 12/03/2006, 12:49 PM   #25
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boxfishpooalot

I used laminated maple for the sides, front and top. It cost me 51cdn for a 4x8 sheet. I got it cut at home depot cause i dont have a table saw. They really suck at making cuts there. Thats why my stand is incosistant. The moulding I use is pine.
Did I ever learn my lesson with home Depot. I measured and designed the canopy for my tank to exact dimensions. I got them to make all the cuts because like you I haven't got a table saw.

I got all the pieces how and realized that were 1/8" off on some of the cuts. Not only would it not make a rectangle with square sides but it would fit PERFECTLY on top of the tank without the 1/8" gap all around I have purposely left in the measurements.

I ended up taking the whole sheet back and demanding a new sheet be cut to the CORRECT dimensions. They got it right the second time but I'll never get things cut there again.

Tyler

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote