Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2016, 04:38 PM   #1
micgloth18
Registered Member

Angry Pineapple Sponges are a pain

THey have taken off. I have them filled in my first chamber where my protein skimmer is. I started to see a white fuzz like mold on my rock that started to spread. I removed the rock and scrubbed it off. I have that in a separate tank. I am going to add new rock once it is done cycling my the bucket. As of right know I removed all the ones on my protein skimmer. I found out through research that the fuzz was all them. I am doing a 15 gallon water change to remove any excessive stuff in the water. My feeding will be cut in half. I am going to kill these suckers. I do not like them. At first I thought it was a fungus but it didn't fit anything. I had pic and the local stores had no idea. So i figured it out and will kill them all. I left them alone because they are filter feeders but know they have to go. Anyone had any similar experiences?

micgloth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 04:55 PM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

If you removes the excess nutrients, they will self regulate.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Brett28
Registered Member

I have, once the tank matures and in a sence learns to balance out they will go away. You see this alot in newer setups.

How old is the tank?

Brett28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 12:15 AM   #4
micgloth18
Registered Member

well I over feed my fish so she leaves my corals alone so i am going to have to get her a different type of food, plus i spot feed my corals and my shrimp. i hopefully got ride of most of them.

Unread 02/14/2016, 08:56 AM   #5
MayoBoy
Movin' on Up

I've had them and kept them because they're filter feeders and help clean the water but I've only had them in dark areas of filters/sumps although a few would popped up on rocks occasionally.

Generally they're a sign that you're overfeeding so if you cut back or change your feeding methods, they'll self regulate.

Current Tank Info: 27 gallon freshwater planted cube. Amazonian biotope
MayoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 01:43 PM   #6
micgloth18
Registered Member

yeah i have been feeding less and alternating from frozen foods to pellet foods. I had them develope some fuzz on my rock that looked like mold on my rock I had to clean the rock and remove it, Let me see if i can find a picture..... you can see a little bit of it in the left side on the rock. It was a white fuzz that started to take over the whole rock and i had to pull it out. this was at the beginning as well it got much worse.
Chica option 3.jpg

Tags
parasite, pineapple, sponge