Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2015, 09:47 PM   #1
erik7281
Registered Member

Identify snail from Southern California beach

please help me identify this snail I got from a beach in Southern California. He has a conical she'll with some algae growing on it. The snail itself is a dark maroon to black color with redish. Size is about 1.5 inches. Is it reef safe?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.0 KB, 77 views)
erik7281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 09:49 PM   #2
erik7281
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik7281 View Post
please help me identify this snail I got from a beach in Southern California. He has a conical she'll with some algae growing on it. The snail itself is a dark maroon to black color with redish. Size is about 1.5 inches. Is it reef safe?
Another photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.1 KB, 64 views)
Unread 02/06/2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Not sure of the species but the snail will probably not survive in the temps for a reef tank.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 11:58 PM   #4
OrQidz
Registered Member

Not to be negative, but collecting an animal that you don't know the care requirements of isn't the best idea. Most of the waters off California are cold. I believe down by San Diego it may get to subtropical, but I'm not sure. Certainly the temperatures are not tropical.

Hopefully you followed California Fish and Wildlife laws in collecting the snail. I apologize for assuming that perhaps you didn't; all you said was that you "got it" so I'm not sure what that means.

As far as identification, maybe google marine intertidal snails of California, or something similar. You should be able to find something.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 12:17 AM   #5
erik7281
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrQidz View Post
Not to be negative, but collecting an animal that you don't know the care requirements of isn't the best idea. Most of the waters off California are cold. I believe down by San Diego it may get to subtropical, but I'm not sure. Certainly the temperatures are not tropical.

Hopefully you followed California Fish and Wildlife laws in collecting the snail. I apologize for assuming that perhaps you didn't; all you said was that you "got it" so I'm not sure what that means.

As far as identification, maybe google marine intertidal snails of California, or something similar. You should be able to find something.
I have kept it in a QT for over 2 weeks now at 81 degrees and seems to be doing great. I feed it algae flakes as well as some macros I grow and it seems to like the sea lettuce and flakes I feed it. By I "got it" I mean I just saw its shell and I really liked it and took it home. I guess I should take back the sea lion pup I took too. Anyways, any other useful feedback?

Unread 02/07/2015, 12:56 AM   #6
OrQidz
Registered Member

no reason to take offense - and I was trying to be helpful.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 07:50 AM   #7
One fish
Registered Member.

lol sea lion pup...

One fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

What size tank do you have for keeping the sea lion pup? I heard they need at least a 100 gallon long tank because they like to swim a lot ...

120G DT: dual Jebao WP25s, (3) 48" BML LED fixtures, APEX controller
50G sump: Jebao DC9000, Finnex 300 heaters, SCA Skimmer, fuge
Goldndoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Khemul
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyways, any other useful feedback?
Kelp snail from the look of it.

It'll take a while (months) to figure out whether high temperature will kill it. Based on it's distribution though (although that may be more a relation to food source location then to water temperatures), I'd take a guess that it isn't big on tropical temps.

Also, it is usually a good idea to identify before collecting. Unless you are somewhere where federal officials aren't looking very closely at shells that are picked up (ie: public beach).

Khemul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 02:25 PM   #10
erik7281
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldndoodle View Post
What size tank do you have for keeping the sea lion pup? I heard they need at least a 100 gallon long tank because they like to swim a lot ...
Will this work? My ice cube makers can barely keep up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.6 KB, 25 views)
Unread 02/07/2015, 02:28 PM   #11
erik7281
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemul View Post
Kelp snail from the look of it.

It'll take a while (months) to figure out whether high temperature will kill it. Based on it's distribution though (although that may be more a relation to food source location then to water temperatures), I'd take a guess that it isn't big on tropical temps.

Also, it is usually a good idea to identify before collecting. Unless you are somewhere where federal officials aren't looking very closely at shells that are picked up (ie: public beach).
I appreciate your feedback.

Unread 02/07/2015, 04:29 PM   #12
skeeter_ca
Registered Member

Quote:
Will this work? My ice cube makers can barely keep up!
lmao

Current Tank Info: 75rr,6"dsb,refugium,auto top-off & semi-auto water changer, OM squirt. 4 MJs 1200, Started on 03/03/06
skeeter_ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
identify, slug, snail