Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2018, 11:25 AM   #1
accel
Registered Member

An Observation: Turbo Snails with Hair Algae (not a question)

Not really a question but an observation.

I'd been having issues with hair algae in my tank. They'd probably gotten worst when I started with Reef Roids (which I really like but has cons). I'd been doing my usual cleanup process ie water changes, filters, and whatever you can think of.

Last night I looked at my snails: the Nerites, Ceriths, Astreas, and Trochus. I feel they should be doing better but they don't. They are too slow and can't make any dent on hair algae--not even sure if they eat hair algae. All I know is I need to see results from them.

I have my reliable Turbo Snails on my 10G tank. I didn't want to bring them because they topple up things but last night I'd say I've run out of ideas with those other snails except to bring the bad boys. As soon as I placed my two Turbos on my 40G tank, they quickly mowed down the rock of 16 inches height in a matter of hours. The hair algae on that area is gone.

The other snails are still on their spots--probably sleeping lol. By the way my 10G is pristine clear from algae because of my two Turbo Snails. They even cleaned the algae on the Astrea snails and the thermometer. If they can chomp down the rocks, they will.

I've made an upgrade on my sump yesterday with a Kessil H80 light. Hopefully that will speed up things with the chaeto/red ogo in my sump. I also upgraded to a led grow light on my chaeto reactor.

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 11:36 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes... A turbo snail will eat hair algae..
The others for the most part will only go after film algae..

Many turbos won't even touch it when it gets longer than like 1/2" or so based on my experience.. same goes for urchins.. Some do.. some don't depending on how long you have let it get..

Unread 05/07/2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Scooter902
Registered Member

As long as you don't let the hair algae get to long turbo snails will demolish it.

I think the folks who think they have hair algae that turbos won't touch actually have bryopsis or something of the sort.

Current Tank Info: 40B mixed reef
Scooter902 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snail, turbo