Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2006, 02:45 AM   #176
Opcn
Registered Member

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...43&pCatId=1303

On sale too, Get two of them, only the small ones really deal with filimentous algaes, obviously not a fish.

Opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2006, 06:30 PM   #177
Kinetic
Registered Member

i bought two turbos and two lettuce "nudi's" recently to fight my hair algae, and the lettuce nudi's climbed onto the hair algae and laid eggs, then dissapeared.

the turbos ate some algae and got full and stopped moving.

... not the greatest.

my late emerald grab used to eat hair/bubble like mad. but once he died the hair algae kept coming (he died because the tank was cleaned out by him). He started eating gobies, armor of gods, acropora colonies, and such, but eventually i had to feed algae tablets twice daily to him. eventually he didn't get enough food (i left for long vacations) and died.

sad, but kind of good since I might be able to keep gobies now and zoos.

I was going to try an urchin, but found out that they may scratch acrylic with their mouths =(

manually pulling, running dual oversized skimmers, isn't helping.

i have about 80x turnover in the tank.

one day I'll figure it out...

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2007, 02:43 PM   #178
MadCoral
Registered Member

!!! Just add alittle Vodka every morning, and every night, up the dose till its gone, keep it up for a few days, then slowly bring it down so you dont have a huge bacteria dieoff. Ive never seen a problem with my sps, or anything else, and so far for me it works.
"If one day you see alittle green growing, get your fish drunk!"

Current Tank Info: 210 in the wall
MadCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:02 AM   #179
GROSSR
Registered Member

What does the vodka do to the Bryopsis? How does it react to the algea, also do you have a fuge with any other algea? If so, what happened their?

rich

GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:13 AM   #180
graveyardworm
Registered Member

The vodka provides a carbon source for bacteria, which in turn bind up phosphates and nitrates making it exportable by skimming. Hope I got that right its been awhile since I've read up on vodka dosing.

There’ll be no one to save, with the world in a grave

Current Tank Info: 100 gal lagoon/seagrass, 100 gal sump, Lifereef 72" skimmer, 180 inwall, 125 inwall seagrass/lagoon in progress
graveyardworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:16 AM   #181
graveyardworm
Registered Member

You'll find alittle more specific info here

Current Tank Info: 100 gal lagoon/seagrass, 100 gal sump, Lifereef 72" skimmer, 180 inwall, 125 inwall seagrass/lagoon in progress
Unread 01/18/2007, 10:05 PM   #182
GROSSR
Registered Member

I guess before I break down the take it is something worth trying. Maybe in a year, if I can't get this licked. Sounds scarry.

rich

GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 01:21 AM   #183
DNA
Registered Member

Here is an incredible story on this thing.

I have Bryopsis in a few spots around the tank that just refuse to go away so I bring in a Foxface and I remove a medium sized infested rock and let it dry out for weeks.

The Foxface eats all the Bryopsis and dies after being in the tank for a few months. 4-5 more months pass and there is no sign of the evil algae. Then the tank suffers from high nitrate and guess what. Bryopsis is back in all the usual spots and even the dryed out rock gets infested again in a flash.

This thing is sure to thrive in outer space.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2007, 03:53 PM   #184
imnata
Registered Member

Can somebody ID this macroalgea? Is it Bryiopsis?

imnata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2007, 06:13 PM   #185
graveyardworm
Registered Member

Check out the Algae slideshow

Welcome to Reef Central

Unread 03/31/2007, 08:12 PM   #186
Claeth
Registered Member

looks like it to me.. good luck. I would suggest a convict tang. its your best bet. Emerald crabs are also known to graze on it. I have it in my system, very hard to get rid of, but luckily it grows fairly slowly, so its not hard to keep pruned back by hand if you keep your PO4 levels down. try to keep it centralized in one area if possible, and if you don't prune it inside the tank, it shouldnt spread to the rest of the tank. Move the rock into a refugium if you can, there you can let it grow and be a good thing. hope this helps.

Current Tank Info: 46 Gal. Bowfront w/1- 400W 10K Ushio MH and a hang on refugium internal filter, and powerheads for filtration. 75 gal Clear for Life acryllic aquarium w/ built in trickle filter system converted to live rock, also with 1-400w 10k Ushio.
Claeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2007, 10:27 AM   #187
imnata
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the tips.

I got some divided opinion on whether I have Bryopsis or not, so I decided to check here with you guys.

imnata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2007, 08:28 PM   #188
Gman1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lesd
The vast majority of fish will ignore Bryopsis. I have Tangs who devour normal hair algae and caulerpa, but won't touch Bryopsis.

Some people have had success with rabbitfish. I've heard better stories about orange-spotted and doliatus rabbitfish than the common foxface. However, even that is hit or miss.

My problem is that I can't even use Lettuce slugs. I have too much flow in my tank and they just end up getting blown around and sucked into the overflow.

Phosphate removers (aluminum based ones) really make my leather corals unhappy.

So right now I'm just manually removing as much Bryopsis as I can, and it's steadily spreading all throughout my tank. Hopefully when I move the tank next month I can scrub down all the rocks and make a real dent in it.

Anybody tried a plethora of tuxedo or other urchins?

I have a 75gal that I just started 3 weeks ago. I used 80 pounds of cured tonga rock and then all of a sudden-wham. I have a lawn on the live rock. It is predominately on the top of the live rock,not the sides, or the sand yet.

My snails have been useless and cannot right themselves if they are in the sand beds. However, they are making good work of the grass.

With regards to urchins, I bought a pin cushion urchin who has now started mowing this stuff down for the first time tonight. Once my light comes on tomorrow I will take a closer look and see what he ate. I can also post a pic for you to confirm that my tank lawn is the same stuff...
-- Lesd

Gman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 05:01 PM   #189
Jimbo327
Registered Member

Hair Algae is like cockroaches. You can destroy and kill them all on the surface, then it just comes back in numbers over time, and laugh in your face.

Current Tank Info: 6gal JBJ NanoCube, DIY LED Mod, 1/15 JBJ Chiller, Tunze Osmolator, Homemade Kalkwasser Chamber
Jimbo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2007, 02:21 PM   #190
kypatriot
Premium Member

I have this crap in my 'fuge and tank, along with gracilaria and caulerpa in my fuge.

If I tried to use an urchin to controlling this stuff, could I put it in the 'fuge, or would it just feast on all my macro?

kypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2007, 03:35 PM   #191
Me No Nemo
Premium Member

If it's hair algae, not bryopsis, a cleanup crew consisting of Trochus Grazers (they can right themselves better than astrea snails...which, IMO, are a waste of money, and the trochus will clean the rock as well as the glass); Mexican Turbo snails; Fighting Conchs which are excellent detritious cleaners and Cortez Mexican Hermit Crabs...great algae eaters. Also, a couple of Atlantic cucumbers and some of the large Tongan Nassarius snails. One of these is equal, IMO, to about 10 of the small vibex nassarius. Also, if phosphates are a problem, there are two great ways to remove them: a phosphate reactor...pretty inexpensive for the long run with Phosban as the agent or the Tropic Marin Elimi-phos. I've had excellent results with both. HTH.

“Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest...” ( Dr. Lloyd Biggle Jr.)

"In among the branches of the corals, like birds among trees, floated many beautiful fish, radiant with metallic greens or crimsons...."
J. Beete Jukes 1842-46

Current Tank Info: 215 Oceanic, Dart Pump, Vortech MP 40's, ATI Powermodule 10x80 watts, 46 gallon freshwater planted tank, 3,500+ gallon backyard pond, 12 gallon mantis tank
Me No Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2007, 07:50 AM   #192
dendro982
Registered Member

What about removing bryopsis, growing on the coral?

I have it on the Christmas tree rock, 10g unskimmed tank, micron sock only, changed daily. The water parameters are not bad, "thanks" to bryopsis, but still have 5 ppm NO3 and 0-25ppm PO4, now added Rowaphos.

The tank is heavily fed - for Christmas tree worms, scleronephthya and blueberry, swiftia and fine blue gorgonians.

Plucked it away - next week all the same, tried to apply kalkwasser paste, that I'm using for eliminating aiptasia, on the big patches. But it runs onto live coral tissue and kills it. Turbo snails didn't helped at all.

I will re-do the system hopefully within month, it will be with skimmer, but still well fed.

Are there other option for live corals, other than manual removing (no siphoning - nowhere to siphon) and removing nitrates and phosphates?

dendro982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2007, 12:20 PM   #193
kypatriot
Premium Member

You should check out this thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1113109

Unread 08/17/2007, 07:42 AM   #194
dendro982
Registered Member

Excellent idea! Thank you.

5g - sea apples
NC12 - tube anemone
20g L - frogfish
125g - filefishes and lion

Current Tank Info: 6 BB tanks: NPS, filter feeders and odd fish. LPS, sps and clams too
Unread 11/25/2007, 09:58 PM   #195
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

I'm having my first outbreak of this crap right now. What's odd is that it is only growing on the glass and my tunzes, none to be seen on the rocks. It's very odd, but I guess I'm not complaining. It can't really do much damage where it is now. What is preventing it from growing on the rocks?

Unread 11/25/2007, 10:17 PM   #196
kypatriot
Premium Member

It grows on the glass and overflow box in my tank too. None really on the rocks, but in my other tank, it's only on the rocks.

Do you have a fish or snails that could be eating it off the rocks?

The Tech-M trick works wherever it grows.

Unread 11/25/2007, 10:28 PM   #197
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

Yeah, I have snails, but they go on the glass too. Perhaps hermits are getting at it, but I've never seen them be this efficient at it. I mean there is absolutely none on my rocks.

Unread 11/26/2007, 07:15 AM   #198
dendro982
Registered Member

In Advanced forum (if I'm not mistaken) is a thread "Fast solution for Bryopsis", the same treatment, only applied locally.
Doesn't work with Seachem Advantage Calcium (Mg sulfate). But after a couple of months bryopsis disappears from porous surfaces (coral), and continue to grow in a high flow, even in unfed low light tank.

May be copper from TechM kills it?

5g - sea apples
NC12 - tube anemone
20g L - frogfish
125g - filefishes and lion

Current Tank Info: 6 BB tanks: NPS, filter feeders and odd fish. LPS, sps and clams too
Unread 12/23/2007, 09:04 AM   #199
dendro982
Registered Member

Even 3 weeks of TechM didn't killed or significantly reduced the feathery bryopsis.

Unread 05/13/2008, 09:56 PM   #200
Claeth
Registered Member

Ive found the only way to remove it completely is to consider the rock its growing on dead, a sign of Old Tank Syndrome, (which should be called old rock syndrome), and literally remove it from the main system or put it in the dark part of a sump for a long time. It's easier to replace the rocks with fresh from the ocean ones, than to use chemicals to treat the system for it. not to mention new rocks add new life, and Old rocks work just fine in dark sumps. don't have enough sump for it? get a bigger sump! Dilution is the solution to the pollution.

Current Tank Info: 46 Gal. Bowfront w/1- 400W 10K Ushio MH and a hang on refugium internal filter, and powerheads for filtration. 75 gal Clear for Life acryllic aquarium w/ built in trickle filter system converted to live rock, also with 1-400w 10k Ushio.
Claeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bryopsis, hair algae