Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/26/2019, 02:43 PM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

Sick/dying Melenurus

what do you think is the issue with this guy? I have tried netting him to no avail. He can still move quick when the net comes close.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dPverxK1i9jAKD2YA

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 08/26/2019 at 02:49 PM.
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Got in a fight.... and lost?
Hard to see in the pix, is this a newer addition?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 04:31 AM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

He has been a tank member for at least 5 years. Yesterday I noticed the Atlantic Blue Tang going after him, but since it had never before occurred I guessed it was only because he was in a weakened state.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 08/27/2019, 10:15 AM   #4
jd371
Registered Member

If it's swimming irregular and swims as if a weight is tied to his tail it could be a spinal injury. I've had wrasses get spooked and bang into things causing the injury. If it's spinal there's the slight chance it might pull through but usually not much you can do.
I had to euthanize a Fairy Wrasse recently due to a spinal injury.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 12:01 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
If it's swimming irregular and swims as if a weight is tied to his tail it could be a spinal injury. I've had wrasses get spooked and bang into things causing the injury. If it's spinal there's the slight chance it might pull through but usually not much you can do.
I had to euthanize a Fairy Wrasse recently due to a spinal injury.
I think you may be right. He seems to be only using his pectoral fins for movement and is vertical quite a bit. Less today than yesterday. My Green Plate coral moved and covered the area where he used to sleep, so he may have crashed into it trying to dive into his favorite sand spot. Also if you look
closely at the pictures there appears to be an injury on the top side of his mouth. I seem to remember reading somewhere that that is a common injury when diving into something too hard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xT7WGG4dobvPpfPw6

Unread 08/28/2019, 11:11 AM   #6
jd371
Registered Member

His mouth does looked banged up like he hit something. It was obvious with my fairy Wrasse, banged up snout and doing the corkscrew dance, sure sign of a spinal injury. I was able to catch him and move him into an acclimation box so he wouldn't get tossed around by the current.
Was hoping he'd recover but after a week in the acclimation box, he showed no sign of improving. The saddest thing was watching him perk up when I fed the fish and would try and swim. I tried spot feeding him but he had no stamina at all to go after the food. Instead of watching him slowly starve to death I euthanized him using clove oil.

Unread 08/28/2019, 12:42 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

very sorry for your loss. I was a bit hopeful yesterday as he was swimming a small bit more normal. He was using his rear tail fin and had been only using his pectoral fins. But, today he is not moving much a just lying on a pump.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CboCWdQ5gfwVHtHPA

Unread 08/29/2019, 10:21 AM   #8
jd371
Registered Member

That doesn't look good at all. If you can, try and move him to an acclimation box if you have one that way he doesn't have to fight with the current and is safe from other fish. Is he eating?

Unread 08/31/2019, 07:02 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Likely old age, wrasses life span in aquaria is about 5 years.

Unread 08/31/2019, 09:25 AM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

He didn't make it. After not seeing him yesterday, I found him in a back corner on the sand bed. RIP

Unread 08/31/2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

RIP
Got good time out of that one!